RPA_02_Wells_Safety

Heather Wells

Anchor Intro:

The citizens of Kent City have decided to take their safety into their own hands. TV-2 reporter Heather Wells has the story on why these residents are feeling reassurance about their safety.

Script:

Residents of Kent City gather monthly in the fire department training room to discuss how they can help keep the city of Kent safe.

Kent Police Chief Jim Peach says that these neighborhood watch meetings are for police to share information with residents.

MORE UNDERSTANDING CAN BE GAINED THROUGH INFORMATION AND EDUCATION. AND IT’S IMPORTANT THAT WE SHARE AS MUCH INFORMATION WITH THE COMMUNITY AS WE CAN.

Officers reassured Kent residents that they go the extra mile to keep the city safe with police officers on bicycles.

YOU CAN GO PLACES THAT YOU CAN’T GET TO IN A CRUISER.

The program developed years ago for police officers to have better access to parks and bike trails.

YEAH WE GO INTO THE PARKS. WE GO DOWN TO THE UH, DOWN TO THE BIKE TRAIL AND UH, YOU KNOW, IT’S TOUGH TO UH PARK YOUR CRUISER.

STANDUP: Police say that they take residents’ concerns seriously and they want to be able to guarantee safety for the citizens of Kent. Kent police also spoke about a citizen’s police academy, a training program for residents to become more knowledgeable about the duties of the police department and how to be a proactive citizen.

DESIGNED TO BE ENTIRELY EDUCATIONAL AND HOPEFULLY SOME OF THAT RUBS OFF. WE WANT TO EDUCATE YOU ABOUT NOT JUST POLICE WORK BUT THIS POLICE DEPARTMENT.

Bill Lillich, Director of Kent City Public Safety says that this program was created for police to be able to better connect with the community and address the concerns of residents.

WE FOUND A NEED TO, UH, FIND VARIOUS ALTERNATIVES TO CONNECT TO THE COMMUNITY. AS YOU SAW FROM THE PRESENTATIONS THIS MORNING, THE WHOLE DEPARTMENT IS ORIENTED TOWARDS COMMUNITY OUTREACH.

Chief Peach hope that the residents take away at least one thing…

KNOWLEDGE, MORE INFORMATION. WE HOPE THAT THEY BECOME MORE AWARE OF THE DYNAMICS OF POLICE.

For TV2 News, I’m Heather Wells.

Anchor Tag:

The meetings are free and open to the public. The next meeting is scheduled for December 21st at 7:30 am in the Fire Department training room.

Take PKG:

CG: Jim Peach/ Police Chief: 00:13

CG: Heather Wells/ TV2 Reporter: 00:46

CG: Bill Lillich/ Kent City Public Safety Director : 01:23

Outcue: For TV2 News, I’m Heather Wells: 1:47