No suspects in campus hit and run

Kent police are still searching for a dark colored truck after a hit and run Friday on Main Street that left two Kent State students injured.

Cassie Norman, a sophomore athletic training major, was treated for muscle strain in her neck, and her sorority sister, 19-year-old Laura Clark received 13 stitches after the accident.

Sgt. James Prusha, who was on duty and at the scene, said the Kent Police Department is looking for the truck, but there are no leads at this time.

“I think it was a pretty square hit,” said Prusha. “We’ve had different witnesses give conflicting reports on make and model, but we’re looking for a dark colored truck with some front end damage.”

Kent police have sent out messages to surrounding police stations to help look for the vehicle. So far, no vehicle matching the description has been reported.

Norman was driving her white Mazda and was picking up Clark on the side of the road at about 2:30 a.m. Friday just before the intersection of Main and Willow streets.

Norman said she put her hazard lights on and pulled over because there were no cars around at the time. Once Clark got into the back seat, Norman said she saw a dark colored vehicle approaching.

“I remember saying, ‘this is going to make them mad,’” Norman said. “Then they just didn’t stop.”

Adam Bergh, a sophomore marketing and entrepreneurship major, witnessed the white car slow down when a black truck ran into the back of their car, pushing them about three car-lengths from the point of impact.

Bergh and his friends were standing in the front yard of a nearby residence where they watched the accident occur.

He said the person who struck the white car reversed and turned down state Route 59, fleeing the scene.

Clark, the passenger in the back seat of the car, sustained a nose injury, but it was unclear at the scene whether it was broken, Norman said.

She and Clark were both transported to the hospital for precautions, while a third occupant in the car was cleared at the scene.

A hit and run is a first-degree misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of a $1,000 fine and six months in jail. However, Sgt. Prusha said it is uncommon for a judge to charge a person to that extent.

Police said the accident is still under investigation, and information regarding the possible location of the vehicle or identity of the driver should be reported to the Kent police at 330-673-7732.

Contact Ryan Young at [email protected] and Jessica Kanalas at [email protected].