Committee decides to move Campus Center Drive

Kelley Stoklosa

The Citizens Advisory Committee for the East Summit Street Improvement Project met yesterday and decided to move Campus Center Drive.

Staff members from the city of Kent, URS Corporation and Kent State met with the Ohio Department of Transportation last week to seek funding approval for the project.

“ODOT did not come into town saying yes to the plan, but once we showed them the purpose of the project is safety they agreed,” said Jim Bowling, city engineer.

Those involved with the project hope to make it safer for pedestrians to cross the street from the parking lot to Risman Plaza by moving the intersection of Campus Center Drive and East Summit Street.

Medians would also be constructed, allowing pedestrians to cross East Summit Street one section at a time.

Bowling said medians would also slow down traffic in the area.

Campus Center Drive would cut into the commuter lots. It may also increase traffic through Fraternity Circle.

The new Campus Center Drive would be in front of the visitor parking lot near the M.A.C. Center.

Bowling also said ODOT responded positively to adding three bike lanes on East Summit Street.

The bike lanes would give bikers a designated space on the road and keep them safely away from trucks and emergency response vehicles.

Kent State also plans to build a green space to extend Risman Plaza.

The green space would hinder vehicles from accessing Risman Plaza and Williams Hall.

Several people at the meeting expressed particular concerns about emergency vehicles and PARTA buses entering that space.

While no plans exist in regards to safely directing pedestrian access through this new area, but that will be addressed at the next few meetings, said Cathy Wilson, account clerk for the Engineering Department.

Members of the committee also discussed ways to improve access to the Stockdale Building farther west on East Summit Street.

You can contact Kelley Stoklosa at [email protected].