Event asks, “R U KSU?!”

Lydia Coutre

R U KSU?!, a three-day event to celebrate diversity by talking about what links everyone instead of focusing on differences, is kicking off Monday from noon to 3 p.m. in front of the M.A.C. Center.

“We want to really get the students to understand that you are Kent State University, regardless of where you’re from, regardless of your background, your major, sexual orientation,” said Robin Wright, a senior Pan-African studies major and co-chair for the coordination committee for R U KSU?! “You are what Kent State University is about.”

R U KSU? Kick-Off

Noon – 3 p.m.

Sept. 27

M.A.C. Center

Robin Wright, Scott Sherwood and the Collegiate Business Association

R U Kouture?!

Transcultural Fashion Show

7 – 8:30 p.m.

Sept. 27

Kent Student Center Ballroom

Modista, FSO, Kasa and Exquisite Inc.

New Modern Family

A conversation about today’s family structure

7:30 – 9 p.m.

Sept. 28

Kent Student Center Room 306

NAACP, BUS, PRIDE! Kent and Women’s Liberation Collective

True Beauty

An art exhibit that redefines the concept of beauty for women of all cultures

Noon – 3 p.m.

Sept. 29

Kent Student Center second floor and Multicultural Center

Advocates of Culture and Knowledge, Focused on the Future Inc. and the Women’s Center

Greg Jarvie, vice president for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, will begin by welcoming students to Monday’s kick off, which was coordinated by Wright, her co-chair Scott Sherwood and the Collegiate Business Association.

Both student organizations and local businesses will have tables set up outside the M.A.C. Center Monday afternoon.

Events will include games, free give-aways, dances, songs, poetry and music, as well as speeches by President Lester Lefton and Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Alfreda Brown.

A live feed of the speeches will be shown at several regional campuses as they each host their own activities.

Wright wants the events to be both fun and educational.

“We’re students and learning about each other is fun,” Wright said. “That’s the point that each and every student should walk away with.”

During the celebration there are four main events: the kick off, R U Kouture?! Transcultural Fashion Show, New Modern Family: A Conversation About Today’s Family Structure and True Beauty: Art Exhibit that Redefines the Concept of Beauty for Women of All Cultures. All events are free and open to anyone who wishes to attend.

The events are a result of collaboration between various student organizations, which Wright said helps show the commonalities among all of the groups.

“They do completely different things, but I think bringing us all together is showing we all have common goals,” Wright said.

Geraldine Hayes-Nelson, assistant vice president for Pipeline Initiative and Diversity Programming Development, said this will force everyone to think outside the box.

“I’m hoping it’s something (that is) going add to their education experience about inclusion,” Hayes-Nelson said. “It prepares them for the global work force and also begin to think in a different manner about how we interact, how we communicate, and our values structures.”

Contact Lydia Coutré at [email protected].