It’s not fire in their eyes, it’s pride

Rachel Hagenbaugh

Why do people wear high school memorabilia and pay massive amounts of money for college attire and sports jerseys? The answer is simple: pride.

Many upperclassmen consider showing off past high school colors to be tasteless and a “freshman thing.” However, students can be seen wearing T-shirts, sweats and jackets from their old high schools all over campus. There must be a reason.

Rachel Roseman, a freshman integrated language arts major, still supports her high school team as much as she did in high school.

“I love Ravenna. Their football team is awesome. I never work on Fridays so I can go to all the games,” she said.

Not only does Roseman catch every football game, but she also tries to make it to other Ravenna sporting events when possible.

“I never played a sport in high school, but I think it’s important to support the teams.”

A more heated battle of attire begins at the college level over whether it’s offensive to wear the attire of competing schools.

Daniel Nelsen, a freshman electronic media production major, doesn’t agree with the students who show support for the Ohio Bobcats.

“We’re in the same conference. It’s definitely not being supportive of your school to wear stuff from the colleges we compete with,” he said.

Buying apparel to support schools and teams can get costly, but students do it because they are proud to be where they are.

“It’s important to wear Kent State stuff,” said Jaydn Fedrick, a freshman advertising major. “It’s no different than high school. You should support your school to the best of your ability,” she said.

After getting past high school and college pride, there’s only one step left. People will scream at the top of their lungs, start fights and even get arrested, all at the risk of pride for professional sports teams.

“I was born and raised in Cleveland. I live and die by the Browns,” said Pete Yachanin, senior hospitality management major.

As tradition will go, he is no fan of the Steelers, but understands hometown honor.

“I don’t mind Steelers fans that are from Pittsburgh. That makes sense,” he said.

It must be tough being a die-hard Steelers fan in a town so close to their rivals.

Dan Skoff, a junior zoology major, is from Pittsburgh. When asked how he keeps his pride when people get vicious, he said, “The Steelers are in one city, but they are loved around the nation.”

Showing off pride for teams boost moral, gets people excited and even creates bonds between people.

Another Pittsburgh fan, junior communication’s major, Patrick Cassetti, agrees with the benefits of supporting sports teams.

“At least for a two-hour game everyone becomes family,” he said.

Contact Rachel Hagenbaugh at [email protected].