R U KSU?! asks “R U Koture?”

Alison Adams

“R U Koture?,” a transcultural fashion show is just one of the events of R U KSU?! that is bringing out all minorities at Kent State to celebrate diversity. The event is tonight at 7 p.m. in the KSC Ballroom and admission is free.

“It’s not a typical fashion show,” Sneha Jose, senator at large of Undergraduate Student Government, said. “A lot of people are really excited about it.”

R U KSU?! is focused on trying to get Kent State student minorities to show the diversity within the university.

“It’s a good way to reach out to people,” Jose said. “It would be nice if international students were recognized more.”

Modista, Fashion Minority, Kent African Student Association and Undergraduate Student Government are some of the organizations involved in putting on the fashion show.

Clothing donated from India, China, many African countries, Azerbaijan and possibly Japan will be featured. The organizations took whatever donations they could get.

Jose said the most standout outfit that will be featured is from Azerbaijan.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” she said. “It was very pretty actually.”

Students who donated the clothes will be talking about their outfits with multimedia and music.

The organizations chose a fashion show because it is something people like to experience. Jose said this show features people from countries students have never seen before.

Jose said students should enjoy seeing different outfits in person rather than on Google images.

Rachel Ramey, a senior fashion design major, said the event is a good opportunity for design students because it is important for designers to be exposed to what is going on outside of their own community.

“Researching trends and seeking out inspiration are a large part of the design process,” Ramey said. “Understanding the thoughts, trends and fashions of many different cultures gives me a great pool of information that I can pull from when necessary.”

Seeing clothing from different cultures can be beneficial to those who don’t have a diverse ethnic background to influence them.

“I come from a multicultural family and love to learn about the arts and history of all cultures,” Ramey said. “Lately, many of my designs have been inspired by the vibrant colors and motifs of traditional Indian textiles. “

Jose said it is important for American students at Kent State to be aware of other cultures because stereotypes need to change.

She recalls someone stopping her in the Student Center and asking her how her skin was so dark. She said they didn’t understand that her parents were from India and that she looked that way all the time.

“I thought it was hilarious that someone thought I had a nice tan,” Jose said.

Contact Alison Adams at [email protected].