Softball team goes 3-1 in MAC weekend

Brad Tansey

Coach Linder wins 400th game

The Kent State softball team solidified its position atop the Mid-American Conference standings after splitting a doubleheader with Eastern Michigan on Friday and sweeping second-place Central Michigan Saturday.

Despite a 12-6 loss in the first game Friday’s doubleheader, Kent State coach Karen Linder said she was happy with the way the team played overall.

“We had a couple bad innings from a defensive standpoint,” Linder said. The defense made four errors in the loss to the Eagles.

Senior center fielder Leah Archual led the Kent State offensive, going 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored in game one.

In game two Friday, junior left-handed pitcher Markie Pozzuto (2-1) picked up her first conference victory on the mound. Pozzuto pitched 5 1/3 innings, striking out two and giving up one run on six hits.

“I thought she (Pozzuto) did a really nice job,” Linder said. “She’s starting to pitch with a lot more confidence.”

In the bottom of the first inning, Kent State (27-18, 14-4 MAC) jumped to an early 4-0 lead after a two-run double by sophomore designated player Jessica Blanton. After Blanton’s double, sophomore shortstop Mary Holt launched a two-run home run over the left field fence.

The Eagles (16-27, 5-11) scored their first run of the game in the top of the second after an RBI single by junior third baseman Lauren Delapaz.

With a 4-1 lead going into the bottom of the fifth, the Flashes scored two runs to increase their lead, 6-1. Following a leadoff single by Archual, junior outfielder Beth Cinadr ripped a double to center field, scoring Archual. With pinch runner Lauren Brocklehurst on second, Blanton hit a single to center, scoring the senior outfielder.

Eastern Michigan closed the gap in the top of the seventh with a two-run home run by Delapaz off senior pitcher Kylie Reynolds. With two outs in the seventh, another two-run home run by senior outfielder Jenny Scherer forced Reynolds out of the game. Freshman pitcher Danielle Abernathy entered the game and struck out the final batter of the game, allowing her to earn her first save of the season.

The Flashes and Eagles combined for 35 hits in the doubleheader. The win in game two gave Linder her 400th career win at Kent State.

On Saturday, Kent State swept Central Michigan, winning the first game 9-1 in six innings.

Linder said the sweep of Central Michigan was “extremely important.”

“I went into the weekend hoping we would sweep both Eastern and Central,” she said. “I was very happy that we responded and we were able to sweep them (Central Michigan).”

In game one, the Chippewas (25-16, 11-7) scored first in the top of the first inning with an RBI single by senior right fielder Katie Greenman.

Kent State tied the game in the bottom of the third after a solo home run by freshman outfielder Lauren Grimes.

The Flashes took the lead in the bottom of the fourth after scoring six runs in the inning.

Senior first baseman Alyssa Frobase and senior second baseman Heather Duhon hit a pair of doubles that plated three of the six runs scored. Archual and Cinadr added RBI singles.

Grimes added two insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth after a two-run home run.

Reynolds got the win for Kent State, pitching a complete game with eight strikeouts.

In game two of the doubleheader, the Flashes defeated Central Michigan 4-2.

With one out in the bottom of the first, Grimes hit her third home run of the day. She has a team-leading 11 home runs on the season. The solo shot gave Kent State an early 1-0 lead.

The Chippewas tied the game in the top of the fourth inning after an RBI single by junior third baseman Amanda Patrick.

In the top of the fifth inning, Central Michigan took a 2-1 lead with a two-out RBI single by Greenman.

The Flashes tied the game in the bottom of the sixth after a solo home run by Frobase.

After a scoreless seventh for Central Michigan and the game tied 2-2, Kent State came to bat.

Archual grounded out to start the inning. With Grimes already having three home runs on the day, the Chippewas elected to intentionally walk the freshman. With one out, Cinadr blasted an opposite field home run to win the game. Cinadr finished the day going 4-for-7 with one home run and 3 RBIs. Reynolds picked up her 21st victory of the season, pitching the final 3 2/3 innings in relief of Pozzuto.

The Flashes return to action tomorrow with a make-up game against Robert Morris. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.

Contact sports correspondent Brad Tansey at [email protected].