Job fair opens windows for upcoming graduates

Megan Dunick

Event to take place today in Student Center Ballroom

Networking, experience and informational are the three words Robin Pijor uses when describing the Spring Job and Internship Fair held from noon to 4:00 p.m. today in the Student Center Ballroom.

“It’s a good opportunity for students to network,” said Pijor, the Career Services assistant director. “They get the chance to meet with an employer face-to-face and have that experience to sell themselves.”

Current Kent State students and alumni are invited to attend this free annual event in order to gain networking experience among the 68 companies registered.

Attendees are recommended to dress professionally, take efficient notes and research each employer’s company before coming. Students and alumni will have the opportunity to speak with each company, all while pitching their professional qualities and skills.

“One of the bad things candidates sometimes do is go up to the employer and ask what they as a company do,” Pijor said. “Doing research is so important and in the end, it looks good to the employer. They want to see what initiative was taking ahead of time.”

Students and alumni can go to the Career Service Web site, www.career.kent.edu, and view the current registered companies. Each company has a link where a description of the organization is given along with the organizations URL.

Many employers at the fair will be offering full-time positions that require degrees as well as internship positions. The Job and Internship Fair is a flexible event, and attendees can come and go as they please. While most of the employers stay at the event for the full four hours, there are some who tend to leave early.

“Hopefully students and alumni are starting this process sooner rather than later,” Pijor said. “This event gives attendees the opportunity to get out and talk to many employers at one time while getting a feel for interaction with the employers.”

Contact ROTC reporter Megan Dunick at [email protected].