40th anniversary events list for May 4

Programs begin tomorrow to commemorate the campus shootings that defined the Vietnam era

Saturday, May 1

• National student activism conference: “Roots of Resistance: Continuing the Struggle”

When: 10 a.m.

Where: Student Center

About: The conference aims to educate the community about “race relations on a local, state, regional and national level,” according to the event’s Facebook page. It features several speakers throughout the day.

• Kent State Truth Tribunal

When: 10 a.m.

Where: Franklin Square Deli

About: The Truth Tribunal was organized by Laurel Krause, the younger sister of Allison Krause, who was killed on May 4, 1970. The tribunal will record the stories of people who were at Kent State on May 4, 1970.

• Documentary: “Fire In the Heartland: Kent State, May 4th, and Student Protest in America”

When: 7:30 p.m.

Where: Kiva

About: The documentary, made by Danny Miller, focuses on Kent State activism.

• Kent Anti-Racist Action’s Annual Night of Remembrance benefit show

When: 9 p.m.

Where: Checkers N’ Trophies at 352 West Elm St.

About: According to the Facebook page for the activism conference, the show will feature In a Circle, Professor Greenhouse, poetry by Dan Gallik and Eliza Wild and more.

Sunday, May 2

When: 10 a.m.

Where: Student Center

About: Day 2 of the conference, which begins Saturday.

• Kent State Truth Tribunal

When: 10 a.m.

Where: Franklin Square Deli

• Films: “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans,” “Vietnam, The Secret Agent (Orange)” and “Vietnam Experience”

When: 2 p.m.

Where: Kiva

About: According to the Kent May 4 Center website, the movies will be followed by a panel discussion featuring Country Joe McDonald and Vietnam Veterans Against the War.

• Play: “Blanket Hill”

When: 5 p.m.

Where: Kent Stage

About: The play offers a minute-by-minute interpretation of events that occurred on May 4, 1970. It shows three viewpoints of the shootings.

• Film: “Disturbing the Universe”

When: 8 p.m.

Where: Kent Stage

About: Documentary about radical attorney William Kunstler, followed by a panel discussion with his daughters and Kent activists who worked with Kunstler from 1970-77.

Monday, May 3

• Kent State Truth Tribunal

When: 10 a.m.

Where: Franklin Square Deli

• Dedication of National Register of Historic Places plaque and new May 4 walking tour

When: 3 p.m.

Where: Oscar Ritchie Hall Room 214

About: Kent State Board of Trustees Chair Pat Mullin and President Lester A. Lefton are holding a dedication ceremony for May 4 site’s listing on the National Register of Historic Places and the opening of the new May 4 Walking Tour.

When: 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Where: Kent Stage

• Speech: U.S. Representative John Lewis

When: 6:30 p.m.

Where: Student Center Ballroom

About: Lewis was one of the leaders of the Civil Rights Movement, participating in the Freedom Rides and organizing sit-ins, bus boycotts and other non-violent protests.

• Speech: Bobby Seale

When: 8 p.m.

Where: Oscar Ritchie Hall

About: Seale was co-founder of the Black Panthers civil rights group. He is also one of the keynote speakers on May 4.

• Candlelight march and vigil

When: 11 p.m.

Where: The Commons

About: Participants will assemble on the Commons at 10:30 p.m. for the march. The vigil begins at midnight in the Prentice Hall parking lot.

Tuesday, May 4

• Panel: “The Reporters Who Were There”

When: 8 a.m.

Where: Kiva

About: The panel features Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer John Filo; Chuck Ayers, former editorial cartoonist for the Akron Beacon Journal and Daily Kent Stater photographer; Michael D. Roberts, former Plain Dealer reporter and co-author of “Thirteen Seconds: Confrontation at Kent State”; Janet Leach, Kent State journalism professor and former editor of the Akron Beacon Journal.

• Kent State Truth Tribunal

When: 10 a.m.

Where: Franklin Square Deli

• May 4 commemoration and speeches

When: Noon

Where: The Commons

About: This year’s keynote speakers are Black Panther co-founder Bobby Seale and Gerald Casale of Devo. Other speakers include: May 4 eyewitness Mary Vecchio; Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer John Filo; Russ Miller, brother of Jeffrey Miller, who was killed on May 4, 1970; Florence Schroeder, mother of William Schroeder, who was killed on May 4; former Weatherman member Mark Rudd and more.

• Open reception

When: 3:30 p.m.

Where: Student Center Room 306

• Film: “The Story of the Kent State Shootings”

When: 5 p.m.

Where: Student Center

When: 6 p.m.

Where: Kent Stage

• “ . . . Next Stop Is Vietnam: The War on Record”

When: 7 p.m.

Where: Kiva

About: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is presenting a program on music and the Vietnam War. The program will include video, audio and a PowerPoint presentation.

• Concert: Country Joe McDonald and the Shadowbox Theater

When: 8:30 p.m.

Where: Rathskeller