Fraternities Compete for the Lip Sync Title

Heather Thomas

Greek chapters and other organizations on campus have been preparing for Delta Zeta’s Lip Sync for months. However, two fraternities are catching the spotlight this year—one for its reigning title, and the other for its newcomer status. The question is, can the champions be defeated?

“Our biggest competition is ourselves,” said Michael Parisi, senior general studies major and a member of Sigma Nu, the three-year winners. “It’s up to us if we win or lose.”

Lip Sync is Delta Zeta’s annual philanthropy for the hearing and speech impaired. The event is a major fundraiser and offers an opportunity for students to watch sororities, fraternities and other organizations dance and perform skits.

“It’s a big event that a lot of people can get involved in, even just by coming and donating whatever money you can,” said Whitney Grimes, Delta Zeta’s philanthropy chair who organized the event.

Sigma Nu is the team to beat in the fraternity category, and the brothers are serious about keeping their title.

“Everyone is on a very strict diet and workout routine, and some of the guys have gone tanning,” said Parisi, who helped choreograph and organize their routine. “A lot of guys took yoga this semester in preparation for Lip Sync.”

The fraternity is adamant about keeping its performance plans a secret until the night of the show, so there will be a surprising reveal.

“It’s not just about dancing, it’s about being creative, being funny and putting on a good show,” he said. “Ever since we started winning three years ago, there’s been a precedent set for every year.”

Grimes still does not know what Sigma Nu is going to do, but she said they always have an original idea.

“There’s a lot of hype, and I’m sure they’ll blow my mind like normal,” said Grimes, a senior psychology and justice studies major. “Sigma Nu has been holding the title…so if they don’t win it’s going to be a big upset.”

Kappa Alpha Psi, a fraternity in the Black Greek Council, is participating in Lip Sync for the first time and is looking to take the top spot. Some of the brothers have a background in stepping, so their performance is highly anticipated.

“I know that they love to perform too and they have a lot of personality like us,” Parisi said. “They’re definitely smart guys…so it’s going to be fun to see what they bring.”

Nate Lewis, the treasurer of Kappa Alpha Psi, said his fraternity got involved in Lip Sync because they want to break down barriers.

“A lot of people know of Kappa Alpha Psi, but they don’t know Kappa Alpha Psi,” said Lewis, a senior sports management major. “We’re going to give it our all. We just want people to know that we’re here, and we’re here to stay.”

Lewis said their biggest competition is Sigma Nu, and its title does not intimidate them, it just motives them to win.

“Every time I see them, I tell them we’re coming for the throne,” he said.

Lewis told Parisi they’ve been watching YouTube videos of Sigma Nu’s past performances to figure out how they can win.

“I think we (have a good chance of winning) because we bring something different. But at the same time it is our first year,” he said. “Hopefully, we can bring that ‘wow’ factor.”

The two fraternities have had a close relationship for about three years, and Grimes said their friendship has caused a civil rivalry.

“I’ve heard they’ve been talking to each other saying how each are going to do better than the other,” she said. “So they’re both trying really hard to beat each other.”

Sigma Nu is confident in their chances for a fourth win, but Parisi said if they can’t place first, he hopes it goes to Kappa Alpha Psi.

Their performances, as well as those from other groups, can be seen at Lip Sync Saturday, March 13 in the KSC Ballroom. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and the event starts at 6 p.m. All students are welcome to the event, and there is a $3 admission charge.

Lewis said the audience can expect “a lot of entertainment, a lot of show-stopping stuff…and a lot of energy” from the routines.

All of the proceeds from the event go toward the Starkey Hearing Foundation, Gallaudet University and the House Ear Institute. The competition is split between performance and fundraising winners, and Grimes said she hopes this will allow the sorority to raise even more than they did last year, which was $10,000.

Parisi stressed the importance of the event to both the Kent State community and Sigma Nu. He said the event is a way for students to see what people at Kent State are coming up with next

.

“It’s important because we feel like we’re the innovators of it. We want to keep it going and make it big because…we love Delta Zeta,” Parisi said. “We really want to show them that we care about their causes.”

Contact Greek life reporter Heather Thomas at [email protected].