KSU sees record spring enrollment numbers

Suzi Starheim

Spring enrollment this semester is the highest ever in the 100-year history of Kent State, the university announced yesterday.

An 11.6 percent increase was reported with the release of the 15th-day statistics. This information encompasses all eight campuses.

A total of 38,196 students are enrolled for the Spring 2010 semester, compared to the previous record of 34,222 in Spring 2009.

Headcount of spring enrollment on the main campus is 23,834, and the headcount for regional campuses is 14,362.

The enrollment of international students increased from 895 students in Spring 2009 to 1,127 students this semester.

In addition, enrollment at regional campuses is also up by 16.86 percent, with the Ashtabula campus having the largest overall increase in numbers of students. The campus increased from 1,781 students in Spring 2009 to 2,206 this semester.

“We continue to see impressive enrollment numbers,” President Lester Lefton said in a press release. “As we enter our second century of service, we are building on the strong momentum from last year when we achieved our highest enrollment, had record retention and welcomed our largest freshman class to date. I commend our faculty, staff and those who work in the Admissions Office for this enrollment success. Their dedication to helping students succeed makes Kent State an attractive institution.”

—Suzi Starheim