Show goes on despite snow storm

Michelle Bair

Prince lyrics resonated throughout the Rathskeller Friday night as students sang along with Scott McKenna and Brandon Kent, followed by the succeeding performance of JD Eicher & the Goodnights.

The dangerous hoary of snow didn’t prevent these musicians and fans from enjoying the night.

“Thanks to everyone for coming and braving the weather,” said vocalist JD Eicher. “We really appreciate it. It made the drive a lot more worth it.”

Eicher said they got in a small fender bender on their way up, and he had an adrenaline rush from the accident.

“It’s affecting my rhythm, I can feel it,” he joked.

JD Eicher & the Goodnights played songs off their new album called The Shape of Things.

“White Lilly is my favorite for sure,” said Emily Johnson, junior middle childhood education major. “I really like their style, and I love their lyrics.”

Both bands agreed John Mayer and Dave Matthews Band influenced them musically.

McKenna said some personal problems made a print on some song lyrics.

“She broke my heart and made me look like an idiot, so I wrote a song about her,” he said. “But it wasn’t exactly what she had in mind at the time. It ended up being one of my favorite songs on our CD called So Far. It’s a song called ‘Lies,’ and it’s about someone who makes up every excuse in the world.”

Both groups also incorporated the audience throughout their performances, making the show fun for everyone.

McKenna and Kent encouraged the audience to sing along with them.

“It’s not supposed to be a singing competition,” McKenna said. “It’s supposed to be really loud and obnoxious! …The main goal is to have fun and warm you guys up because we are the opening act, and that’s what we are supposed to do.”

Invited to sing on stage were Rachel Prong, sophomore nursing major, and Katie Johnson, freshman nutrition major.

“Starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam…butterscotch clouds, a tangerine and a side order of ham,” they sang and laughed as they danced on stage with McKenna and Kent.

“I had a good time, and I was really glad to be standing with Rachel,” Johnson said. “I was really relaxed because there were not a lot of people here. It was fun!”

Prong laughed and agreed with Johnson.

“I had a lot of fun, but it was kind of nerve-racking because I didn’t know all the words, and I can’t sing,” she said.

Kent said the experience at the Rattskeller was positive.

“Tonight was awesome! It was very intimate,” he said. “This is a wonderful venue, it’s really put together nice. It’s a great college place.”

Eicher said they performed in the Ratt last semester as well.

“It’s a very different environment because people are really paying attention,” he said. “I really liked it because it seems like people are here for the music first.”

Contact on-campus reporter Michelle Bair at [email protected].