21 things to do if your’re under 21

Kelley Stoklosa

imageGuide

21 under 21

For those of you who aren’t of age just yet, it can be tricky to find new ways to have fun on the weekends or after classes.

For those of you who aren’t of age just yet, it can be tricky to find new ways to have fun on the weekends or after classes. Most clubs and bars around town are not open to the under-21 crowd, and let’s face it, there are only so many times you can go to the frats or the Robin Hood. Kent can be a lot of fun if you get creative and know where to look. Below is a list of 21 ways to be entertained without proof of identification.

1 The Rathskeller in the Student Center is constantly hosting fun, cheap (sometimes free) events right on campus. In February, the Rathskeller will be showcasing comedian and impersonator Brandon Styles. Keep your eyes open for fliers around campus about other upcoming events.

2 The Robin Hood is open to the 18-and-up crowd on Thursdays. It always has live music, pool and it’s close to campus.

3 Lux Nightclub in Akron welcomes women ages 18 and over some nights, but men have to be 21 or older. Obviously this is a problem if any of your guy friends are not 21 yet. Sorry guys, but a girls’ night out is always an option.

4 Late night movies at the Kiva are free to students each weekend, usually at 11 p.m. Real Late Reels is a great chance to see movies you may have just missed in the theater.

5 Venture off campus to University Plaza Theater on Cherry Street. On Monday’s, show your student I.D. to see a movie for $5 all day and get free popcorn and drinks.

6 Host a fashion manicure/pedicure party. This slumber party classic is the perfect time to unwind and catch up on your friends’ lives.  

7 You know that sweater sitting in the back of your closet you still haven’t worn? Give it a better life and bring it to a clothing swap party. You and a bunch of friends bring clothes none of you wear anymore, but would probably look nice on someone else, and swap. It’s a great way to clean out your closet and get something new to wear next weekend.

8 Video game night is an easy way to get a little competitive with your friends. Whether it be Guitar Hero, World of Warcraft or something a little more old school like Mario Kart, video game night is an easy way to have fun.

9 The Kent Stage downtown is a sometimes overlooked gem among students. This historic stage has hosted hundreds of legends over the years and is a fun way to get familiar with some of the townies. Tickets are reasonably priced and you can walk from campus. Oh, and by the way, Henry Rollins is coming in April. Tickets can be purchased at www.kentstage.org.

10 Bowling in Eastway only costs $1 per game and $2 for shoe rental. Plus, it’s right on campus.

11 Go for a swim. The indoor pool at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center is open until 10:30 p.m. on Thursdays, 9:30 p.m. on Fridays, and 8:30 p.m. on Saturdays.

12 Head to Rosie’s in Tri-Towers for a burger and fries. The diner is open all night. Grab a booth and watch the interesting characters ordering food at 3 a.m.

13 Host a dinner party. Have each person attending come up with a recipe, then get together and try your hand at cooking an actual meal. You’ll have so much fun laughing at the varying degree of cooking skills that no one will notice if the food turns out poorly. You can even go as far as to choose a theme for the party, such as black and white or Mardi Gras.

14 Have a movie night. Bring out old favorites such as The Notebook, Zoolander or even old Disney movies. Pop some popcorn and enjoy!

15 Get in bed. OK, now this isn’t what you think. When was the last time you went to bed early just because? Exactly, no one gets enough sleep these days, so one Friday, make a plan to get your full eight hours and not sleep until noon. Don’t worry, there will be plenty of other opportunities in the future to stay up all night.

16 Arts and crafts night is a great way to brighten up those boring white walls in the dorms. Have a bunch of friends paint, draw or color on large sheets of paper that can then be hung up as art.

17 Break out Monopoly and Scrabble for board game night.

18 Kent sporting events are usually free to students and happening all the time on campus. Go out and support your fellow students.

19 Ice skating: $3 with your Flashcard at the Ice Arena. $2.50 for skate rental. The joy you will get from watching your friends try to skate: priceless.

20  Have your own dance party. You don’t need some club to tell you if you can bust a move or not. All you need is an iPod and a decent amount of floor space and you have yourself a dance party.

21  Firefly Lounge in downtown Kent is a hookah bar that is open to ages 18 and over and provides a chill atmosphere to hang out with friends.

Contact features correspondent Kelley Stoklosa at [email protected].