Expand horizons and circle of friends in study abroad classes

Cassandra Adams

Find out why reporter Cassie Adams’ study abroad experience was great.

I walk into the Zephyr and before I take my coat off or order a drink, I hear my name called.

I swiftly spin to match a face to the voice. My brain does the computation instantly, and I jump in the air.

A tall figure with a hat and infectious smile greets me.

“Leland!” I scream, before dashing across the bar to give him a hug. Beside him stands Matthew Herald, wearing skinny jeans, a lip ring and a discreet smile. Another hug. I don’t care that people are looking strangely at me. These people are part of the Kent State group that went to Europe, and I hadn’t seen them since being back in the States.

A few hours later, a few floors up and a few drinks in, I look around the table gleefully at all the new additions. Nearly all those I’d taken the trip with had managed to end up at the same place, without any planning.

Twilight zone check — are we back in London? No, that’s wishful thinking. There is no Professor Fred Smith directing us, and no British accents to be found or British boys (unfortunately). Instead of gripping a Newcastle, Miller Lite is in my hand. Another indication is I’m not paying in pounds but good old American dollars, luckily for my dwindled bank account.

Some odd weeks ago, I had the time of my life. I saw legendary paintings from Van Gogh to Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa. I took pictures starring the Eiffel Tower, told time from Big Ben’s hands, almost got ran over several times crossing the busy streets of London. I partied in the pubs of London, roamed the streets of Paris, learned the true meaning of public transportation, joined and am proudly a member of a London casino, had a great 21st birthday and understood the sanctity of a hot shower like never before.

I couldn’t have dreamed up a better version if I had played master artist myself and had my hand in creating the trip. Many times during the two weeks it felt just like that — a surreal dream. Pinching myself, I couldn’t fathom how lucky and blessed I was for having the amazing opportunity. The experience would’ve never been the same without the people who were along to share these amazing memories and helped make the trip of a lifetime unforgettable.

Last fall, I signed up for an art history course that would have me spend two weeks in France and England. Being a dual major in journalism and English, I knew about as little as anyone about art, but I did know that I had been waiting two decades to visit Europe, and I wasn’t going to wait any longer.

Studying abroad for a whole semester was not an option for me. As a dual major involved in a handful of extracurricular activities and busy with family and social obligations, I knew that a semester would be too long to be away from Kent. But I was determined to make it to Europe before my 21st birthday.

Before signing up for the class, the student is required to purchase and have proof of the roundtrip ticket to London. Then the art history class is added to the following semester’s schedule and Bursar’s account.

The cool thing is, I paid $850 including tax for the airfare, and the rest of the cost — about $1,300 — added to the class as a “special fee” on the Bursar’s account. This included hotels, museums, breakfast and some transportation.

A typical day was spent perusing museums for hours followed by sightseeing and a night out at a pub or club.

In the first week, I got lost, had a panic attack from the culture shock and had a case of homesickness thanks to lack of phones and limited Internet availability. But any minor annoyances were far outweighed by the immense benefits of this trip.

Besides getting to see incredible places such as Salisbury Cathedral, the Louvre, Westminster Abbey and the Eiffel Tower, what I learned were invaluable lessons that can’t be taught in a lecture hall.

Whether it was paintings, photography, jewelry, fashion fabrics, glass working or (for me) writing, we all had our own form of art. These passions motivated us individually and were so private and distinctly diverse, but ironically they connected us as we sought to follow and cultivate them.

Literally from morning to night, I was with the other students. Sometimes it got tiring, sometimes even annoying, but overall it was a blast. I learned the value of including and looking out for people, putting my selfish desires and needs on hold sometimes, and that sharing really is caring and the balance of give and take — all essential values you’d learn in a family.

I learned taking risks is scary but necessary for growth. I began to adopt the European attitude of enjoying the moment, living without an agenda and most often the best times are those that aren’t planned.

Cassandra Adams is a sophomore journalism and English major and a features correspondent. Contact her at [email protected].