The small programs are worth it, too

Kevin Pospichel

In regards to both the Dec. 1, 2009 article “Programming cost may not be worth it” and the Dec. 2, 2009 editorial “It’s time for more prudence in programming.”

Contrary to your popular, yet completely incorrect view that larger events on campus are more economical and sought after, the simple fact is that (if facts were even remotely considered when writing these articles) more often than not large concerts and the like carry the most expensive per-student cost of any event on campus.

For example, Lupe Fiasco cost between $30,00 and $40,000, and that is a conservative estimate considering equipment and labor costs, and drew a mere 1,700 people while the Beaux Arts Ball and Rock the Runway consistently draw that crowd at a tiny fraction of the cost.

While student-planned larger events are more economical and just as successful as their outrageously expensive counterparts, the actual college experience lies within the small event atmosphere that is created every day by student organizations and departments.

College is an environment that is supposed to foster a student into a unique and interesting individual, not reduce them to just another face among thousands. We attend a large university that is extremely diverse, making smaller niche events the only logical choice to cater to all students.

If you’re concerned about wise spending, consider that small events such as free Yoga and 8-ball tournaments come at a per-student cost of just around a dollar, and karaoke tips the scales at a mind-boggling 50 cents a person. Hands down, the largest element of the cost of events on campus is advertising. This isn’t hard to believe when the expense of one tiny ad in the Stater is upwards of $70, and that’s with a student organization discount!

So as you cling to your tired example of the euchre tournament, which by the way was reassessed and done away with years ago, the rest of the hard-working student organizations and departments will spend wisely putting on great events no matter how big or small.

Perhaps in the future the good folks at the Daily Kent Stater will take the time to report actual news instead of presenting biased views backed by exhaustively weak assumptions disguised as facts.

Don’t take my rant the wrong way, I love a large concert from time to time as well, but I would jump at the opportunity to attend a smaller, more intimate event where friends can be made and good times had than watch some overpaid, under-talented band I’ve never heard of have their egos stroked.

So when Flashfest rolls around this spring and I have my choice between (insert any “flavor of the month” band here) with 2,000 people or a drum circle with 10, you better believe I’ll be grabbing my djembe (Google it if you need to) and taking a rain check on that concert.

Kevin Pospichel is a physics major and guest columnist for the Daily Kent Stater.