Ambassador to U.N. will speak at KSU

Cassandra Adams

Four students to receive awards

In the last decade, China has radically increased its involvement in African affairs.

Joy Uche Ogwu, the Nigerian ambassador to the U.N., is coming to Kent State tomorrow to talk about it.

Ogwu will speak at the Student Center ballroom during the 15th annual Scholarship Dinner Dance this Saturday. The African Community Association is holding the event to award scholarships to four students. The ACA provides scholarships to students of African descent who attend colleges and universities in Northeast Ohio.

Mbanefo Charles, president of the ACA, said he thinks the nature of the partnership between the two countries will be an interesting topic for students to explore.

Ogwu will be staying with Charles, a family friend.

“I wrote to her, even though it is the busiest season for the United Nations, and said, ‘I know it’s crazy right now so if you spared a weekend that’d be wonderful,'” Charles said.

Along with the speaker, a dinner and gala will be provided. The scholarship winners will also be honored.

The ACA committee chooses scholarship recipients annually. Undergraduate, graduates and doctoral students can apply. The ACA, started 16 years ago by Kent State professors, looks to make a difference for minority students who might struggle more financially than the average student.

“Promoting family and education are the key themes of ACA,” said Peter Wairegi, Chairman of the ACA Dinner Dance.

Committee members select scholarship winners based on a variety of factors, Wairegi said. These include the student’s extracurricular activities, on-campus involvement and the applicant’s GPA.

Three Kent State students and one Case Western University student will be awarded $500 each to spend on books.

Contact news correspondent Cassandra Adams at [email protected].