University provides services for those struggling

Lee-Anna Bardun

Course withdraw deadline is Nov. 8

Michele Fisher, a graduate student in middle childhood education, said she never withdrew from a class in her entire undergraduate years.

“I never failed a class,” she said. “I’ve gotten grades I didn’t like as much.”

Fisher said she remembered not doing so well in an organic chemistry class she took the summer of her senior year. She skipped a lot and knew that was the reason why she wasn’t doing well.

“It was my fault,” she said. “I didn’t go to enough classes. It was a summer class, and I didn’t feel like going.”

In the end, Fisher said she picked up and started going. She studied a little more, went to more classes and talked to her professor. However, Fisher said she never used any of the resources on campus to help her.

Judith Rule, an associate director at the First Year Advising Center, said there are a lot of services available for students to do well; it is simply a matter of using the resources.

“There are many services available, they (students) simply don’t access them,” Rule said.

Eric Brown, a freshman visual communication design major, said he has had some trouble with College Writing I, but has not considered going to the Writing Center. Brown said it came down to an issue of pride.

“I might stick it out, but if it gets too bad, I might use my freshman forgiveness,” Brown said.

Rule said students just seem apprehensive about using student resources.

“By going and asking someone else for help, you’re kind of admitting to yourself that you need help. That’s difficult for some people,” Rule said. “. The fact is, all of us need help at some point.”

Not satisfied with your grades? Here’s how to get help:

&bull Talk to instructors

&bull See your academic adviser

&bull Use the Academic Success Center

&bull Writing Commons

&bull Talk to your Residence Hall Director

&bull Register electronically for a Save My Semester Workshop

Judith Rule, associate director at the First Year Advising Center

Students like Brown sometimes opt for withdrawal instead of getting help, which can have it’s own implications. Rule said withdrawal can move some students below full time, which can affect students if they are receiving financial aid, or are on their parents’ health insurance.

Matt Cohen, a junior history major, said he recently dropped Oceanography. He said he was taking 18 credit hours, and the class was conflicting with his schedule and getting in the way of social activities. It was a class he could afford to drop, he said.

“There are times when dropping a class is appropriate, but it shouldn’t be the default solution to lack of success in every class,” Rule said.

Some students, like freshman fashion design major Sabrina Simms, say they don’t need resources like tutoring, the Writing Center or Supplemental Instruction.

“There’s definitely a lot of options,” Simms said. “They’re not for me; I don’t really need them. If I do need them, I would take advantage of them, but at least at the moment, I don’t need them.”

Cohen said he went to tutoring before for math and language classes, and it helped him do better. Cohen said a lot of times it comes down to the individual.

“It has a lot to do with self motivation and maturity,” Cohen said.

Rule said the university wants to see students succeed.

“Everybody wants to see improvement,” she said. “Everybody is looking for every opportunity to give someone the benefit of the doubt. It’s just in some cases that’s almost impossible.”

According to the Office of the University Registrar’s Web site, withdrawing from courses is permitted through Nov. 8.

Contact student life reporter Lee-Anna Bardun at [email protected]