Kent State falls to Bowling Green 36-35

Nick Walton

The Kent State football team surrendered an 11-point lead to Bowling Green in the fourth quarter to lose 36-35 in the homecoming game at Dix Stadium today.

The Flashes entered the fourth quarter with a 28-17 lead but allowed 19 points in the final quarter to lose the game.

Bowling Green senior quarterback Tyler Sheehan’s 9-yard touchdown run with five seconds left sealed the comeback for the Falcons.

Kent State took a 35-23 lead with 12:08 left in the game after sophomore running back Jacquise “Speedy” Terry scored on a 3-yard run. Terry rushed for 81 yards on 18 carries and two touchdowns as the Flashes compiled a total of 202 rushing yards on 31 carries.

After squandering scoring opportunities against Baylor, Kent State converted on all three trips to the redzone.

The Flashes took an early lead on an 86-yard reverse by sophomore wide receiver Sam Kirkland that went for a touchdown.

Kent State would add to its first quarter lead when senior defensive end Kevin Hogan blocked Bowling Green freshman kicker Jerry Phillips’ 33-yard field goal attempt. Junior linebacker Will Johnson recovered the ball and tossed it junior defensive lineman Quinton Rainey who returned it 82 yards for a touchdown.

Freshman quarterback Spencer Keith completed 10-of-20 passes for 141 yards including a touchdown. He also fumbled a snap in the first quarter.

The Flashes were unable to stop Bowling Green senior wide receiver Freddie Barnes as he accounted for 306 all-purpose yards including 278-yards receiving and three touchdowns. Barnes also contributed to the Falcons’ comeback by recovering Bowling Green junior running back Willie Geter’s fumble on a punt return prior to the Falcons final drive.

Kent State starts a two-game road trip next week at Eastern Michigan.

Live Blog: Homecoming Kent State vs. Bowling Green