Flashes fall to Bears 31-15 in Waco

Nick Walton

The Kent State football team’s final non-conference game of the season ended in a 31-15 loss to Baylor yesterday.

The Flashes failed to capitalize on three second-half red zone trips after briefly leading in the first half.

Kent State took a 7-0 lead in the first quarter when junior wide receiver Leneric Muldrow completed a 35-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Jameson Konz on a trick play. Baylor responded with 21 unanswered points to go into halftime with a 21-7 lead.

Sophomore quarterback Giorgio Morgan started the game, but freshman quarterback Spencer Keith took all of the snaps in the second half. Keith completed 21-of-39 passes for 206 yards, no touchdowns and an interception.

After falling behind 28-7 in the third quarter, the Flashes answered with a 61-yard rushing touchdown from sophomore running back Jacquise “Speedy” Terry to bring the score to 28-13. Terry led the team in rushing with 109 yards on 12 carries as Kent State totaled 165 rushing yards on 25 carries.

A week after committing no turnovers, the Flashes threw two interceptions and lost a fumble.

Freshman kicker Freddy Cortez, who was named Mid-American Conference Eastern Division special teams player of the Week last week, missed two field goal attempts and only converted on one of two extra point opportunities.

In his first career start, Baylor freshman quarterback Nick Florence completed 20-out-of 27 passes for 216 yards and had two rushing touchdowns. Baylor rushed for 158 yards on 45 carries.

Kent State resumes conference play next Saturday against Bowling Green.