Kent, Stow and Ravenna firefighters called to scene
Firefighters clear out the bottom-floor apartment at 999 Silver Meadows Blvd. after a fire destroyed the kitchen. The fire started because a lighted stovetop was left unattended. Kyle Roerink | Daily Kent Stater
Credit: DKS Editors
No one was injured in a fire that broke out in an apartment on Silver Meadows Drive around 4:30 p.m. yesterday. The fire started in one unit of the two-story apartment when a resident left food cooking on a stovetop.
The flames spread throughout the kitchen before the firefighters arrived.
Arriaes Reger, a neighbor, said he saw flames coming from the roof and windows of the apartment on his way to the store.
There is smoke damage to the bottom and top apartments, and firefighters had to rip off siding on each unit because of damage caused by the flames.
The Kent, Stow and Ravenna fire departments responded to the call. Firefighters extinguished the fire within a couple minutes, said Captain Dave Manthey of the Kent Fire Department.
“All the fire departments started coming from different ways,” he said, “and they busted right in and took care of it.”
Contact public affairs reporter Kyle Roerink at [email protected]