University debuts hotline for threats

Suzi Starheim

Police hope students voice concerns using anonymous line

Kent State University Police have developed an alternative way for the campus community to contact them about concerns or threats.

Police recently put into place the ThreatLine, a confidential, toll-free phone and online system available 24 hours a day.

People can contact the ThreatLine when they have information for the police and they do not feel comfortable filing an official police report about in person.

Reports can be made about threats of physical harm or harassment; information regarding weapons or drugs on campus; or strange, suspicious or disruptive behavior on campus.

Dean Tondiglia, associate director of public safety, said the process of beginning the ThreatLine began last spring and finished in the summer.

“We wanted to have it ready when students got back,” he said.

Tondiglia said one of the main reasons the ThreatLine was created was so individuals feeling threatened had a comfortable way to contact police.

“We wanted to make sure we were providing the public with all the access to the police possible,” Tondiglia said. “We didn’t want anyone feeling uncomfortable contacting the police, and we really wanted to make sure there were no barriers between the police department and the public so that the information will flow to us freely.”

Emily Vincent, director of university communications and marketing, said while the ThreatLine doesn’t replace calling 911, it’s an additional way to allow the campus community to report information to police.

“The university has a very high safety record, and this is another way that we are continuing to provide a safe and secure environment,” Vincent said. “Any reports made through the ThreatLine will be followed up by the campus police department.”

Each report is assigned a reference number so follow-up reports can be made, Tondiglia said.

Kent State has one of the safest campuses in the United States, according to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports and Consortium for Higher Education Campus Crime Research. However, Tondiglia said they continually look for measures of improvement.

“We want community members to speak up,” he said. “We want people to share information they have concerns about. At least give us a tip so we can avoid or prevent any incidence or happening.”

The ThreatLine can be reached at 330-672-SAFE (7233) or www.kent.edu/threatline.

Contact safety reporter Suzi Starheim at [email protected].