Habitat for Humanity plans semester events

Chris Clevenger

Car wash, sleep-out scheduled to raise awareness, money

Kent State’s Habitat for Humanity chapter will try to raise money and awareness in the next week.

The group is hosting a car wash in front of Dairy Queen on South Water Street on Saturday. Students and local residents are encouraged to support the wash.

Habitat is also planning a social event on campus to allow students to get a feel for what it’s like to be homeless.

“Currently we’re getting ready to do our annual sleep-out,” said sophomore architecture major Yana Grinblat, secretary of Habitat for Humanity. “It’ll be September 22. That’s where everyone sleeps outside in Risman Plaza to raise awareness for homelessness.”

The group’s president, Brittany Parker, said the goal of Habitat for Humanity is to “eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the face of the earth by building adequate and basic housing.”

“We put shelter on the hearts and minds of people so poverty and homelessness becomes socially, politically and religiously unacceptable in our nation and in the world.”

The Sleep-Out starts at 8 p.m. Tuesday and continues to 9 a.m. Wednesday. Prizes will be offered to students who design the best cardboard house.

Last year the group had close to 100 members from campus and additional community members involved with the Habitat for Humanity of Portage County.

“For this year, we’re trying to increase membership and have more fundraising events,” Parker said. “Basically just to increase awareness in general.”

Those interested in becoming involved with Habitat for Humanity are urged to attend the group’s biweekly meetings in Room 315 of the Student Center.

“Not only is it a club on campus, but it has fun events and it is a good volunteering opportunity,” Grinblat said. “It’s like everything in one.”

Contact news correspondent Chris Clevenger at [email protected].