KIC looks to fill positions

Kyle McDonald

Elections begin next week for council leaders

The Kent Interhall Council will hold nominations for open positions at 7 p.m. tonight in the Governance Chambers of the Student Center.

There are four open positions on the KIC board this year: director of community development, director of student relations and two representatives at large.

An individual may nominate him or herself or may be nominated by another member of KIC, according to KIC’s constitution.

To be elected, students must hold a 2.25 GPA and live in a residence hall. First-semester freshmen cannot hold director positions.

Elections for director positions will be held Sept. 22, and the representative at large positions will be elected Sept. 29.

According to a KIC informational packet, responsibilities for each position include:

Director of student relations

&bull Serving as a student advocate/liaison between residence halls, KIC, Residence Services and university at large

&bull Soliciting concerns/input through surveys, focus groups, etc., from residence hall students

&bull Overseeing the representative at large

&bull Overseeing the Diversity Committee

&bull Coordinating the Open Student Forum each semester

&bull Serving as a liaison to Undergraduate Student Government and Residence Services to bridge the organizations

Director of community development

&bull Organizing programs to recognize the efforts of outstanding hall councils with the “Royal Flush” award

&bull Planning at least three events per semester

&bull Conducting Homestyling (a room décor contest) in the fall semester

&bull Organizing a KIC team and fundraise for Relay for Life in the spring semester

&bull Assisting the director of student relations in addressing student advocacy issues

Representative at Large

&bull Acting as the liaison between hall councils and KIC

&bull Attending hall council meetings and programs weekly

&bull Writing monthly “Of the Month” awards

&bull Creating a scrapbook each semester

&bull Conducting Hall of the Semester (H.O.T.S.) and Hall of the Year (H.O.T.Y.)

KIC can be contacted through its office in the Tri-Towers rotunda, by phone at 330-672-3121 or email at [email protected].

Contact room and board reporter Kyle McDonald at [email protected] .