Our view: When you see the Purell, use it

You just coughed, and you have the sniffles. You must have the swine flu.

We’re joking, of course. The H1N1 virus has been the butt of many popular jokes that are a way to get people away from you if they have a cough or just flat-out annoy you. The truth of the matter, however, is that H1N1 is a very serious virus that could make you violently ill.

Kent State has been taking precautions to ensure that students, faculty and staff are keeping healthy. Hand sanitizers, Lysol wipes, flu shot clinics, everything you could think of – it’s like an over-protective parent’s dream.

And we, too, will act as mom and dad and encourage you to take advantage of all the prevention methods scattered around campus.

Hand sanitizer should be your new best friend. There are hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere you turn on campus. It puts some people under the impression that Purell is now an official sponsor of Kent State. Not only will it kill 99.9% of the germs on your hands – but it’s free. Now for those of you who are afraid of the 0.1% of germs the Purell doesn’t kill, fear no more. There are also sinks accompanied by anti-bacterial soap in all of the restrooms.

For those of you who use community computers and desks, make sure you keep a can of Lysol wipes handy. One of the best things you can do to sanitize is wipe the keyboard and mouse.

If you really want to get a step up on the flu, you should get to one of the many flu clinics being held in the coming months. For a short while, only regular flu vaccines are available, but it is still a sure way to decrease your chances of getting at least that strain of the flu. We’re told that eventually the H1N1 vaccine is coming as well.

Overall, take advantage of all these things the school is providing. These efforts are in place to help you, not to harm you. If you don’t want to be an oinking kid on campus, then get out, sanitize up and go on with your day.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.