Kent State falls to Boston College 34-7

Josh Johnston

BOSTON – The Kent State football team failed to find offensive consistency as the Flashes lost to Boston College 34-7 this afternoon at Alumni Stadium.

The Flashes struggled to move the ball against the Eagles, who shut out Kent State last year in Cleveland. Alternating among three quarterbacks, Kent State totaled 179 yards of offense on the day.

In the first quarter, the Flashes bit on a play action fake by Boston freshman quarterback Justin Tuggle, who found sophomore wide receiver Colin Larmond Jr. alone down the field for a 56-yard touchdown pass.

Boston’s big-play making ability burned Kent State often in the first half. Eagles’ freshman Nick Clancy intercepted a pass by Morgan at Kent State’s 16-yard line late in the first quarter. Two plays later, freshman quarterback Dave Shinskie found senior wide receiver Rich Gunnel open to put Boston ahead, 14-0.

Gunnel fueled the Eagles’ offense again the second quarter with a 44-yard grab-and-run from Tuggle, which set up sophomore running back Montel Harris’ 1-yard touchdown run. On the day, Gunnel finished with 114 yards on six catches and two touchdowns.

Neither sophomore quarterback Giorgio Morgan nor senior quarterback Anthony Magazu were able to move the offense in the second quarter. With both quarterbacks limited by injuries, Kent State entered halftime with 60 yards of total offense and losing 24-0.

Boston scored twice on consecutive drives set up by turnovers in the third quarter. An interception off Kent State’s first play of the half led to Gunnel’s second touchdown of the day. The Flashes held Boston to a 33-yard field goal in the next series.

Freshman quarterback Spencer Keith, the Flashes’ third quarterback for the game, made his college debut after halftime. Keith’s first pass attempt was intercepted by Boston sophomore linebacker Dominick LeGrande. Keith later lost a fumble on Kent State’s 16-yard line.

The true freshman found his poise late in the final quarter, capping off a 12-play, 61-yard drive with a four-yard strike to junior tight end Jon Simpson in the back corner of the endzone.

Boston ran out the clock on the next drive for the 34-7 win.

Contact assistant sports editor Josh Johnston at [email protected]