Ways to save money in college

Kristyn Soltis

With the costs of textbooks, tuition, food and rent adding up, money can be tight for college students. Below are some simple ways to save a few dollars on those college expenses.

Alcohol:

Alcohol is an expense many college students are not willing to forfeit. About four in five of all college students drink, including nearly 60 percent of students age 18 to 20, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. The easiest way to save money would be to cut back on drinking; however, if you are not willing to do so, check out Kent’s local bars’ beer specials. The Zephyr offers a beer of the month for $2 or pitchers for $6. August’s beer of the month is Budweiser.

Textbooks:

It is estimated students spent an average of $702 on required course materials during the 2006-2007 academic year, which may vary based on course requirements, according to the National Association of College Stores’ Student Watch 2008 report.

Students can save a few dollars if they wait until class starts to buy the textbook. Some professors let students know on the first day if the readings will be offered online. Also, before buying the book at the bookstore, check if a friend or someone down the hall needs the same book and is willing to split the cost.

Food:

Senior art major Rob Boryk suggests students don’t pay for “over-priced” food on campus.

“Don’t buy anything on campus. Go off campus to buy your stuff,” Boryk said.

Customers can buy any quantity of wings and get the same amount free Tuesday night at Buffalo Wild Wings on Franklin Avenue. Thursday night is also 60 cent boneless wing night.

Entertainment:

Plan a date for Monday night. University Plaza Theatre offers Mighty Movie Mondays with $5 admission to all shows and one free popcorn.

Transportation:

Gas is averaging $2.59 as of mid-August, according to the Energy Information Administration. For those with an average 19-gallon fuel tank, filling up once a week costs $49.21. Take advantage of a free ride from Portage Area Regional Transportation Authority (PARTA) to get to class or across town.

Contact principal reporter Kristyn Soltis at [email protected].