A guide to all things Greek

Suzi Starheim

What to know about fraternities, sororities

Between moving away from home, meeting hundreds of strangers and beginning college courses, the last thing on many new college students’ minds is joining a fraternity or sorority. However, many students say they feel the process of “rushing” may just be the best thing they have ever done.

Teniell Trolian, assistant director of the Center for Student Involvement, said the purpose of “rush” is for sororities and fraternities to recruit new members to their organizations. Each organization bases who they recruit upon different requirements. She said this is similar to how a corporate recruiter would go out and find the right fit for his or her specific company.

Trolian said the 27 chapters on campus are divided into three governing councils: the Pan-Hellenic Council, the Interfraternity Council and the Black Greek Council.

Sororities

The Pan-Hellenic Council governs six chapters, all of which are sororities. Sororities recruit every fall. This year, members will be chosen after a weekend of activities on Oct. 13.

Greek terms 101:

• Chapter- any one fraternity or sorority.

• Rush- term used in the ’80s and ’90s meaning sorority and fraternity recruitment.

• Greek Community- the 27

fraternities and sororities in Kent.

• Pan-Hellenic Council

organization governing six sororities.

• Interfraternity Council

organization governing 16 fraternities.

• Black Greek Council

organization governing three

fraternities and two sororities.

For more information visit:

• www.kentgreeklife.com

• www.kentfraternities.com

• www.kentsororities.com

• www.dept.kent.edu/csi/GreekLife/BlackGreekCouncil.html

“The recruitment process is a mutual selection process done in rounds,” Trolian said. “It begins with an online registration, and then the new recruits visit the chapters and narrow down their choices.”

To be eligible to join a sorority under the Panhellenic Council, a minimum 2.5 high school, college or transfer GPA is necessary. New recruits must also have completed leadership activities in the past and pay a $30 fee to go through the recruitment process.

Megan Reed, a senior health care administration major, said she got involved with her sorority through recruitment during the fall of her freshman year. Today, Reed is vice president of recruitment for the Pan-Hellenic Council.

“I didn’t know much at all about Greek life walking into recruiting,” Reed said. “I just really wanted to find a way to get involved and meet people.”

Fraternities

The Interfraternity Council offers an interest form online for new recruits to learn more about each fraternity. Recruits looking at this form can select all 16 fraternities they may be interested in. This interest form will then be sent to the Interfraternity vice president of recruitment who will forward the information from the recruits on to the chapters he shows interest in.

The next step of the process is for the fraternity to get in touch with the recruits who show interest directly, and the fraternities will typically host their own recruitment activities with new recruits there.

Trolian said although the recruitment process for the Interfraternity Council is significantly less structured than the Pan-Hellenic’s process, the organization still requires new recruits to have a 2.0 minimum GPA.

Black Greek Council

Trolian said five chapters make up the Black Greek Council. Three are fraternities and two are sororities.

“These chapters are historically African American,” Trolian said. “While they are not exclusive to only African American students, that is who these chapters are predominately made up of.”

Trolian said the Black Greek Council doesn’t allow members to join until their sophomore year of college.

“They want a student to have an opportunity to transition into college before becoming involved in a fraternity or sorority,” Trolian said.

Once the age requirement is met, new recruits can fill out an online application demonstrating their interest to the council and listing their GPA, contributions to the community, a resume and an essay.

The minimum GPA for this organization is a 2.0. Once all requirements are met, the chapters will then contact the recruits directly.

Trolian said the chapters in the Black Greek Council are really interested in students who take an active part in community service.

Beyond recruitment

Reed said recruitment was a huge benefit to her because it really allowed her to learn about each of the sororities individually. She said she also enjoyed being in the small groups of recruits throughout the process.

“You get to meet people in your recruiting group as well as from each chapter,” Reed said. “Even when you do make your choice, you are still friends with many girls from the other chapters because you get a chance to meet everyone during the recruiting weekends.”

Reed said she never felt overwhelmed by the extensive process, and it led to the most fun she has had while in college.

“Along with the benefit of making friends, you also have the academic benefits, too,” Reed said. “It’s a stepping stone to get involved in other activities, and it leads to a lot of networking with Greek and non-Greek organizations.”

Trolian said all 27 chapters will host a table fair this fall where each has their own table and members for new recruits to visit and talk with. The fair is Aug. 31 from noon to 2 p.m. in the Student Center.

“I know there are stereotypes out there about Greek life because of television shows and things like that,” Reed said. “I hope freshmen walk into the process with an open mind and have fun.”

Contact news correspondent Suzi Starheim at [email protected].