Find on-campus jobs through Web site

Steve Opalko

CampusWorks helps student employment

College is supposed to be a fun, carefree time that will never be outdone as long as you live. It leaves alumni with stories about the experiences they had, the people they met and the things they accomplished.

Unfortunately, just about everything students do to get those memories costs money. It’s true: Money doesn’t grow on trees. And for many students, money isn’t coming from mom and dad either. Sometimes the only option left for students who want some extra spending money is to get a job.

By visiting the university’s Career Services Center Web site, students can find a number of helpful services including internship and job fairs, on-campus student employment, career counseling and assistance with resume writing and interviewing.

Ami Hollis, associate director of Career Services, said the first step in finding campus employment is to come prepared. She encourages students to check out the Web site career.kent.edu.

“Incoming freshmen should be prepared for the job search by creating a resume,” Hollis said.

Students can search for job openings listed on CampusWorks and upload a resume for easy access to employers. When a position becomes available, the employer will set up an interview. If hired, a job offer will be sent via e-mail from CampusWorks. The entire process can take as little as three days.

“I work as a supervisor in the intramurals department at the (Student Recreation and Wellness Center),” said Stephanie Smith, a senior exercise physiology and human movement studies major. “I went through the application process and then was interviewed. The interview was pretty laid back, and everyone was very nice and made me feel comfortable. I’ve been working at the Rec since 2006, and I have loved every minute of it.”

The employee and the employer will agree on a start and end date of employment and work out a weekly schedule together. Just because there is a stated “end date” doesn’t mean the employee is automatically fired after that date.

“Students are temporary-at-will employees,” Hollis said. “They should not expect to be hired after their end date, but if it’s mutually beneficial, their supervisor will typically keep them on.”

According to the Career Service Center’s Web site, there is not a minimum number of hours students must work. However, students’ weekly hours are limited to 32, making anywhere from $7.30 to $13.30 an hour.

Contact news correspondent Steve Opalko at [email protected].