27 things to do this summer

May/June

With the semester wrapping up and summer becoming more tangible than ever, most students are probably anticipating a season full of blockbusters, loud music and sweaty mosh pits. Here’s what you should be looking forward to.

Taking Back Sunday

While I’ve never seen Taking Back Sunday live, I can imagine they’d bring insane amounts of energy to any stage. I can’t wait to see them at the House of Blues in Cleveland on May 14. DW

“Angels & Demons”

Originating from Dan Brown, the author of “The Da Vinci Code,” this movie is destined to hold attention at the theaters when it releases May 15. Starring Tom Hanks and Ewan McGregor, this movie not only has an amazing cast in line, but also an in-depth plot that will hopefully keep audience members on the edge of seats. SS

“Amanda Leigh” by Mandy Moore

The newly married Mandy Moore recently released a new pop single titled “I Could Break Your Heart Any Day of the Week.” On her Web site, Moore wrote, “It’s a way of owning and acknowledging your sense of self-worth in a rather tongue and cheek manner.” With an upbeat rhythm and memorable lyrics, this song sets the tone for her May 26 release and will soon be the summer theme song for all Mandy Moore fans. RM

“Away We Go”

What makes this comedy with Maya Rudolph of “Saturday Night Live” so promising is that John Krasinski’s charm as Jim on “The Office” has never quite translated to big-screen success. The movie, out on limited release June 5, follows an expecting couple as they travel to see strange old friends and family members played by Maggie Gyllenhaal, Allison Janney and various other stars. MB

“The E.N.D.”

from Black Eyed Peas

Although each member of the band has done solo projects, the Black Eyed Peas reunited for their fifth album. The new single, “Boom Boom Pow,” currently sitting at No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, gives a great first impression of the album, which will be released on June 9. RM

Bonnaroo

The music and arts festival famously known as Bonnaroo will once again take the stage for four days in Manchester, Tenn., from June 11-14. Beastie Boys, Nine Inch Nails, Phish and a whole shit-ton of other awesome artists will grace the stages for those who dare to venture the four-day excursion of music, art and happiness. LL

“The Proposal”

The film, out June 19, stars Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock – practically my two favorite actors. The plot seems typical – two people faking a relationship and then eventually falling in love – but I still can’t wait. KP

“Year One”

“Year One,” starring Jack Black and Michael Cera (along with Paul Rudd and David Cross), looks to be a pretty funny film this summer. Set to release June 19, the plot is about a couple of lazy hunter-gatherers (Black and Cera) who are banished from their primitive village and set off on a journey of epic proportions through the ancient world. Sure to gain a few laughs, “Year One” is one movie to watch out for this summer. LL

“Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen”

The long-awaited sequel finally arrives on June 24. Mikaela Banes (Megan Fox) and Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) will return in “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.” Starscream returns to Cybertron and assumes command of the Decepticons. The Autobots discover that Megatron’s dead body has been stolen by Skorpinox and has been revived. Megatron is seeking revenge with Starscream and the Decepticons. The Autobots have their own reinforcements but will still have to defend the universe. RM

No Doubt, Paramore

After reuniting, No Doubt will be touring alongside Paramore this summer – for a solid rock fest fronted by females. The bands will be performing at Blossom Music Center on June 29. Tickets range in price from $10 to $80. LL

“The Fray” 2009 tour

Though I enjoy The Fray, I thought for sure there was no way they could produce something truly new. Though their 2009 self-titled album had many of the piano-driven ballads the band is known for, I was surprised to find some darker, more folksy acoustic stuff on their album. The band has tour stops in Cincinnati (June 29) and Cleveland (July 1). MB

“Cradelsong” from Rob Thomas

I really love Matchbox 20, but I hope Rob continues to find success on his solo run with this album, releasing June 30. And I hope my mother and I can go to another concert again soon. KP

July

“Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs”

While this July 1 release may be aimed at a younger audience, it will be difficult to hold the laughter in while watching the four furry prehistoric creatures on their seemingly endless adventures throughout these movies. The best part, perhaps: Scrat the squirrel will most likely still be searching for the perfect spot for his acorns. How can this not be mildly amusing on a rainy summer day? SS

Rothbury

This event, taking place July 2-5 in Rothbury, Mich., is quite a trek for many attending, but with the music line-up, it looks like it will be well worth the trip. Along with the music – which yes, is always the highlight – there is the Rothbury “Think Tank,” which shows those attending how to live a more “green” life. Even if music and a “green” lifestyle don’t appeal, there is also the circus, theater and performing arts aspects of the festival to enjoy. SS

Warped Tour

With acts like 3OH!3, The Devil Wears Prada, Chiodos and Madina Lake, this summer’s Warped Tour promises to be one to remember – as long as you’re not the drunk in the middle of the mosh pit. The tour hits cities across the U.S., stopping in Pittsburgh July 8 and Cleveland July 9. DW

“Brüno”

Borat made me uncomfortable, so that’s why I can’t wait to see “Brüno.” Based off the fictional gay Austrian fashion guru Sacha Baron Cohen created, the film will probably be uncomfortable on a whole new level. Look for it on July 10. KP

Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp

Three of America’s greatest songwriters will come together in concert this summer. These men have changed American’s music forever and seeing them together on stage is a once-in-a-lifetime chance. The show will hit Dayton (July 10) and Eastlake (July 11). PC

“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”

Following the dark cinematic success of “Order of the Phoenix,” the sixth installment of the franchise will continue the journey of Harry and friends – this time focusing on the origin of Lord Voldemort. With chilling trailers featuring the dark wizard as a young boy, it seems obvious that this movie, being released July 15, will also deliver. MB

“(500) Days of Summer”

Set for limited release on July 17, this anti-fairy tale film is going to be the fun flick of the summer. “(500) Days of Summer” made a splash at this year’s Sundance film festival, and reviewers everywhere are raving about the chemistry between Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. Kick-ass “Garden State”-esque music won’t hurt either. DW

Pitchfork Music Festival

The newly infamous Pitchfork Music Festival 2009 is in Chicago from July 17-19. The event will include musical performances from DJ/Rupture, Yo La Tengo, Mew, The Flaming Lips, Japandroids and more. LL

“Funny People”

Like me, you probably can’t remember the last time Adam Sandler was in a truly funny movie, but I’m sure you can think of one Seth Rogen was recently in. Comic genius Judd Apatow takes a stab at combining the two with a tale of a terminally ill stand-up comedian (Sandler) and his protégé (Rogen). Hilarity, I’m sure, will ensue on July 31. MB

August

“Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II” from Raekwon

Raekwon has been talking about this Aug. 11 release since we first heard about “Blood on Chef’s Apron,” but this album has been pushed back almost as many times as “Chinese Democracy.” When it drops, however, this album is sure to be one of the final masterpieces out of the historic Wu-Tang Clan. NB

James Otto, Billy Currington

Two dynamic country artists will appear in concert together at the Portage County Randolph Fair on Aug. 27. Billy Currington’s sophomore album, “Doin’ Somethin’ Right,” was released in 2005. James Otto’s sophomore album “Sunset Man” showcases his brand of “country soul.” His single, “Just Got Started Lovin’ You,” is currently rising on the country charts. RM

Brand New’s upcoming album

The members of Brand New released a statement three weeks ago saying they will have a new album this summer. There’s no date set, but I hope this new album can outdo “Deja Entendu.” “The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me” was good but not amazing. This will probably be my most anticipated album of the year. KP

“Montezuma’s Revenge” from Souls of Mischief

Oakland’s Souls of Mischief hasn’t been the same since its breakthrough album “93 ’til Infinity.” The group has since traded in its funky, laid-back beats for a darker approach on recent albums. But with famed producer Prince Paul at the helm, this album is shaping up to be a hip-hop classic and a return to the mellow roots. NB

Rock the Bells

This year the famed hip-hop tour, hitting cities across the U.S., is trying something new. The tour is pairing various acts to perform on stage together, with notable headliners including Nas with Damian Marley and The Roots with Common. It should be one hell of a show. NB

Blink-182

After years watching the trio do separate adventures such as “Meet the Barkers,” Angels and Airwaves and +44, Travis Barker, Mark Hoppus and Tom DeLonge reunite at last. With “friendships reformed,” according to the band’s Web site, this summer tour should be epic. PC

Compiled by Denise Wright, Kelly Pickerel, Laura Lofgren, Suzi Starheim, Meghan Bogardus, Rebecca Mohr, Nick Baker.