Kent State professor becomes new dean of CCI

Stan Wearden has been named the new dean of the College of Communication and Information. As the only internal candidate for the job, Wearden served as the director of Kent State’s School of Communication Studies before being selected as CCI dean.

Senior Vice President and Provost Dr. Robert Frank announced today that Wearden was selected among a pool of nationally recognized scholars, with 25 years of university service to Kent State making him the most accomplished candidate for the position.

Wearden began his career at Kent State in 1984 as an assistant professor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. In 2004, Wearden served as the interim director of the School of Communication Studies. He officially became the school’s director in 2005, and Frank said that Wearden has doubled student enrollment since being named to the position.

“Dr. Wearden is an accomplished educator, researcher and academic administrator, and we look forward to the leadership he will provide as dean of the college,” Frank said.

In an announcement in front of supporters at Moulton Hall Apr. 27, Wearden said he plans to take action developing more interdisciplinary Ph.D. programs for graduate level communication students. He added that under his direction, undergraduate communication students can expect more degree programs as well.

“Dr. Wearden is an example of excellence in action,” President Lester Lefton said. “We are proud that our national search for a dean has resulted in the best candidate being one of our own. It is always gratifying to have the opportunity to promote a talented member of our university community.”

Wearden replaces James Gaudino, who left the university at the beginning of the year to become president of Central Washington University in Ellensburg, Wash. He will assume the duties of dean July 1.

-Cody Francis and Caleb Raubenolt