Summer job hunt begins despite poor economy

Meghan Bogardus

Students should start searching now

With many companies in dire financial conditions and students now in search for seasonal jobs, it is not surprising that some are feeling discouraged.

“My hope is that students embrace the challenge and take even the summer job search seriously, like a job in itself,” said Ami Haynes Hollis, associate director of the Career Services Center.

While Hollis said the time to apply for jobs is now, she doesn’t think students will run out of time.

“I’m not sure if it’s ever too late, but the earlier you apply, the more choices you’ll have,” she said.

Hollis has a few tips to maximize the hunt for a summer job:

• Have a resume prepared to submit with an application

• Research the organization you are applying to

• Brush up on interview skills

• Make follow-up inquiries via phone or e-mail

• Ask for interviews

• Always follow an interview up with a thank you note

• Keep your career goal in mind

“It’s a great idea to get career-related experience in the form of a summer job so that students can explore their career interests,” Hollis said.

Freshman nursing major Natalie Klebine said, in spite of returning to her previous summer job, she has been having trouble finding another one.

“That has been difficult because a lot of places don’t seem to be hiring,” Klebine said.

Hollis urged students to be vigilant and treat their job hunt like a “part-time job.”

She suggested students keep track of where they have applied and what they have submitted. Also, she said students should make follow-up inquiries to ensure that everything sent has been received.

Hollis also suggested students visit the Career Services Web site or come to the Career Services Center in the Michael Schwartz Center for drop-in counseling (Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 2 to 4 p.m.)

Contact features correspondent Meghan Bogardus at [email protected].