Architecture Library reopens after months of renovation

Adam McParlane

The Joseph F. Morbito Architecture Library reopened today after its renovation last summer. Senior library associate Marsha Cole said the reason for opening the library now was due to warmer conditions in the spring.

Dean of Libraries Mark Weber introduced James Dalton, College of Architecture dean, who then cut the ribbon to officially reopen the building.

“Dean Dalton has been a consistently strong supporter of the Architecture Library,” Weber said, “and University Libraries believes in the importance of branch libraries to help on the Kent campus and to provide a more direct service to some units like Architecture and Urban Design.”

Through the renovation, 620 square feet of space was added to accommodate a periodical reading room and an office for the head librarian. 1,151 linear feet of shelving was installed to provide space for future collections. A color printer and scanner are available for students to use, as well as a black-and-white copy machine and 11 computer workstations. The library also allows for wireless Internet connection from anywhere in the building.

Cole said she was pleased with the renovations and thinks they will benefit students in their fields of study.

“I think they’re terrific,” Cole said. “It’s done a world of good to the students and everybody that comes in. It’s just a much more pleasant and organized environment to work in.”

Cole said the architecture library is an extension of the main campus library and all students are free to use its services.

Contact College of Architecture reporter Adam McParlane at [email protected].