Phoenix Project not lacking in ‘Imagination’

Joe Zucker

Student’s business chosen in contest for downtown space

Victoria Sullivan, a sophomore managerial marketing major, now has the chance to leave a lasting impression on the economy of downtown Kent.

Sullivan, who won the Center for Entrepreneurship and Business Innovation retail contest, will have her business idea placed in the Phoenix Project in downtown Kent.

“It is exciting that my venture will be launched in downtown Kent,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan’s project was called Peace of Imagination. The idea is an art studio-workshop based on eco-friendliness and artistic expression. Sullivan said that the business would fill a void in the Kent art community.

“Kent is such a strong liberal arts community, there is no place where children or adults can actually go and do artwork freely,” she said. “I think that this business is something that the community actually needs.”

Sullivan has high expectations for what her idea can accomplish in Kent.

“My hope is for this liberal arts community to become engaged in studio workshops,” Sullivan said. “It can be a place where young children and adults can come and freely express themselves through works of art while respecting the environment.”

Seven finalists gave presentations on April 6 before a group of judges.

Communications major senior Kevin Carlin was runner-up in the competition.

His concept was Kent Bicycle Co-op, a student-run bicycle service shop. Carlin felt that Kent Bicycle Co-op would have greatly helped the community.

“Commuting by bicycle is a growing trend that is environmentally friendly and healthy,” he said. “With the newly built bicycle trails now connecting through Kent, I feel that it is a perfect opportunity for a co-op.”

Carlin said that while his idea did not win, he still feels that the opportunity is still open for expansion of Kent Bicycle Co-op.

“Even though the concept was runner-up, I have received positive feed back about getting the co-op up and running,” Carlin said. “I have plenty of fellow bike riders that would love to get involved, so I hope that the concept is a real possibility.”

CEBI Director Julie Messing said that the $500 prize awarded to Sullivan represents the school buying the idea from the student. Even so, Sullivan said she planned to help with the launch of Peace of Imagination.

“I plan to dedicate much of my time to the launch of this venture,” she said. “This was made possible by the Center for Entrepreneurship and Business Innovation, and (I) will continue to work with them to ensure the success of the business.”

Contact College of Business Administration reporter Joe Zucker at [email protected].