BUS candidates discuss ideas

Kyle Roerink

Elections for Black United Students leadership positions are Monday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the second floor of the Student Center

Black United Students hopes to become both a political presence on campus and liaison between the university and African American students, said Dylan Sellers, President-elect for BUS next year.

Sellers does not have an opponent in this year’s executive officer’s elections and neither does the vice president-elect, but what both men agree on is that next semester they will take the achievements of the present BUS administration and take the group to the next level of success.

“I love black people,” Sellers said. “I take my love for us very serious and like with any relationship, when you say you love someone there are actions that should accompany that statement. In this case, I believe educating and building the confidence of my people are those actions I will take as president.”

Dierre Clift wanted to be vice president of BUS because he said he is a born leader. He understands, though, that before you become a leader you must sit, listen, learn and speak about what you know.

“This year as a BUS board member I learned a lot about BUS,” he said. “Next year I feel like I need to tell people what I know… Coming from poor and underprivileged situations, once you go to college you feel like you need to give back and become a leader.”

Clift said as vice president he wants to be an organizer who brings unity to the community and educate students on academic policy and administrative affairs. He said one of his greatest concerns as vice president is getting more involvement from the student body.

“A lot of times people feel like BUS is a group that’s not for everybody.” Clift said. “I believe our board this year did a great job diversifying. I want to bring more programming into the multi-cultural center, Oscar Ritchie and BUS. We need to utilize our resources on and off campus. A lot of times students don’t hear about free trips to Africa and getting grants.

“I think it is up to us for people who usually don’t find those things to put them out there for people to recognize.”

The contended position during this election is executive secretary, Alascia Jones is running for a second term for the position. She said if she is elected she will continue to be the best aid possible to the president and vice president.

“Most importantly, I will continue to record all meeting minutes and keep them on file along with other pertinent paperwork in order to preserve BUS’s history, accomplishments, changes et cetera, as well as to protect BUS as an entity should any discrepancies arise among the board or otherwise,” Jones said.

Jones’ contender, Jazmine Beidleman, a freshman BUS committee member, said she wants to be secretary because the group is something African Americans need in the community because it can be a motivational organization that builds the confidence levels of participants.

“What originally drew me to BUS was the feeling that you get from being in the BUS office,” Beidleman said. “For me, it’s the feeling of being able to relax and have good conversation, whether it’s politics, religion or just what’s happening on campus.”

Jones said communication and organization are the keys to doing anything because “you can do everything under the sun and have the greatest year, but if nobody knows it doesn’t mean anything.”

Voting takes place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday near the stairwell on the second floor of the Student Center. The winner of the secretary position will be announced at the Ebony Achievement Awards on Wednesday.

Contact minority affairs reporter Kyle Roerink at [email protected].