Alcohol awareness event held on campus tomorrow morning

Cody Francis

The seventh annual Portage County None 4 Under 21 program will be held tomorrow morning at 9:30 a.m. in the M.A.C. Center.

The program’s purpose is “to educate and remind about the dangers and consequences of underage drinking and drinking and driving,” said Sgt. Dustin Svab, of the Ravenna Police Department and co-chair of the event.

Kent State students of all ages are welcome to attend the event, alongside the 2,000 high school seniors who are expected to attend.

The event will include speakers and mock scenes of real events including a mock crash, a mock field sobriety test and a mock funeral. This year’s speakers include a woman currently incarcerated for killing a person while under the influence; Todd Mix, an athlete, honor student and graduate of Rootstown High School, now confined to a wheelchair after being struck by a train; Aaron Cooksey, a recent college graduate who was put in jail after being involved in an alcohol related accident that killed one of his friends; and Marc Streem, a parent who lost his youngest son in a motor vehicle crash.

The program concludes with a memorial tribute to area families who have lost their loved ones in traffic-related crashes.

“We use the experiences of these people to share with the students,” Svab said. “It’s definitely a sobering and moving event.”

“We want everyone to walk out of there with knowledge of the choices they make,” said Vickie Yendriga, co-chair of the event and Aurora police officer. “Choices and decisions that not only affect them, but so many others.”

This is the sixth time the event will take place at Kent State.

– Cody Francis