Arts and Sciences honors senior leaders, distinguished teachers

Kaylee Remington

The College of Arts and Sciences hosted its Distinguished Student Leadership and Faculty Awards Banquet last night.

Nominations were based on leadership qualities in areas such as community service, academic areas, student organizations and other extracurricular activities.

The awards are conducted twice a year and are sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences.

Senior Award Recipients

Michelle Cordier- mathematics major

Cordier has been honored on the dean’s and president’s lists and has been awarded the Harshbarger Scholarship. She has served on the Mathematics Undergraduate Studies Committee and Student Advisory Council.

Brian Dailey- physics major

Brian was recognized for his contributions in research for the Center for Nuclear Research Award. He has served as a physics tutor and treasurer of the Society of Physics Students.

Alyssa D’Amico- sociology major

D’Amico has made the dean’s list for five consecutive semesters. She is a member of the Sociology Honors Fraternity, Alpha Kappa Delta, and has done research on graffiti and inequalities. She has worked with charities within the community for assistance.

Nicholas DiSabatino- English major

DiSabatino is a member of the Honors College and has since been on the dean’s list every semester. He is president of Sigma Tau Delta and has served as a peer leader in helping new students adjust to Kent State.

Anna Dowell- anthropology major

Dowell is a member of Late Night Christian Fellowship, where she served as president and service team coordinator. She has been an active player in helping individuals learn English as their second language and helping families in need.

Ellen Euclide- modern and classical language studies major

Euclide has worked as a tutor in the Academic Success Center and has also contributed in helping students learn English as a second language through the English Partners Program.

Benjamin Heimann- computer science major

Heimann has made the dean’s list several times in his college career. He has worked as an information officer for the Association for Computing Machinery. He also has a position at Lake Quincy Media as a software developer.

Chelsea Kociuba- psychology major

Kociuba was recognized for her work in research. This past summer, she received the Research and Graduate Studies Honors Thesis Fellowship. She has worked in various volunteer services, including the Salvation Army.

Brian Manor- chemistry major

Manor has made either the dean’s or president’s list in every semester at Kent State. He has published his honors thesis and has served at the Academic Success Center as a tutor for mathematics and chemistry. He has also worked as a lab assistant.

Heather Misutka- geography major

Misutka has made the dean’s and president’s lists and has received other scholarships and awards. She also worked as a meteorology intern at WKBN in Youngstown.

Amanda Parker- center for applied conflict management major

Parker has made the dean’s list for six consecutive semesters. She has earned the KSU Scholarship of Excellence and the Trustee Scholarship. She also does program development at Cuyahoga Community College.

Susan Pomar Queirolo- modern and classical language studies and international relations major

Pomar Quierolo has done volunteer service at the National Museum of Education, working with its yearly Talent/ Invention Award ceremonies. She has worked to help assist students within the department and other community building activities.

Colleen Rankin- international relations and political science major

Rankin has joined many honors communities and was recognized as a junior fellow of the American Academy of Political and Social Science. She has traveled to Russia to expand her knowledge of international issues.

Katie Wheeler- justice studies major

Wheeler received scholarships and recognition for her hard work at Kent State and earned placement on the dean’s and president’s list several times. She served on the Student Advisory Council during the Spring 2008 semester.

Distinguished Teacher Award Recipients

Julie Mazzei- political science

Mazzei, an assistant professor of political science, teaches courses mainly in international and comparative politics. Her book, titled: “Death Squads or Self-Defense Forces? How Paramilitary Groups Emerge and Challenge Democracy in Latin America,” is due to be released in September.

Thomas Schmitzer- English

Schmitzer teaches College English, Honors Colloquium, United States Literature and British Literature. He won the award for his dedication and passion to bring the best educational experience to students.

Christopher Woolverton- biology

Woolverton, professor of biological sciences and director of the Center for Public Health Preparedness, focuses his research on the detection and control of infectious diseases. He is editor-in-chief of the “Journal of Microbiology and Biology Education.” He also co-authored two undergraduate textbooks in microbiology and is the faculty advisor to Phi Delta Epsilon and to the KSU Medical Technology club.

Contact College of Arts and Sciences reporter Kaylee Remington at [email protected].