Meet your USG candidates

COMMUNICATIONS

Brady sees communication as an area of growth for student government

Sophomore psychology major Leah Brady has worked in the communications office for a year and sees communications as a “big area for growth in Undergraduate Student Government,” especially when it comes to communicating with students.

“I think we need to do more to reach out,” Brady said.

Brady also hopes to organize a USG newsletter, a provision of the office stated in the bylaws which is often overlooked.

“I think I can really get the message of USG effectively out to the student body,” she said. “I will dedicate myself to the position and work hard to connect to (students).”

– Sara Scanes

Lumpp says her major, experience make her a good choice for director position

Jessica Lumpp, junior magazine journalism major, said her prior experience with Undergraduate Student Government makes her a good choice for Director of Communications.

“I’ve already been on USG as the senator for the College of Communication and Information,” Lumpp said. “I know how USG works.”

As a student within CCI, Lumpp said she feels she will have even more insight to lend to the position.

“I’m majoring in journalism and mass communication,” Lumpp said. “That’s pretty much what the job is.”

Lumpp said her goal is to “promote USG because a lot of people don’t know what it is” or what it does.

“As the director of communications, I can get the word out about USG,” she said.

– Sara Scanes

GOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS

Mostov aims to increase communication between students and elected officials

Sean Mostov wants students to have the right to have their voices heard on state and national governmental affairs. That’s why he’s running for Director of Governmental Affairs for Undergraduate Student Government.

The junior middle childhood education major has already had experience on USG as the director of academic affairs.

“I would like to keep a more open channel between university officials and students because I feel we are both working toward a common goal but are not always aware of it,” Mostov said.

To achieve that goal, Mostov hopes to provide students with the opportunity to communicate with state representatives, report and gauge reactions of students over acts of legislature on the floor and work with other public universities to bring “together a cohesive and strong front on matters that are necessary” for university operations.

“If elected I promise to give all my time, efforts and dedication to ensure that we as undergraduates are being properly represented in governmental affairs,” Mostov said.

– Kristine Philips

STUDENT ADVANCEMENT

Kevin Papp, freshman international relations major, is running for Director of Student Advancement in the Undergraduate Student Government election. He is running against two other individuals for the position.

Papp was unable to be reached for comment by deadline.

– Kristine Philips

Pierce calls for standardized judicial standards and ‘Yellow Bike’ project

Justin Pierce is a man with ideas. Although he has never held an office for the Undergraduate Student Government, he is confident his ideas will make him a great addition to the body as Director of Student Advancement.

A junior majoring in accounting, Pierce has advocated several changes to the university in his platform, including standardized judicial standards and a project called Yellow Bike. Under project Yellow Bike, the university would purchase a large amount of bicycles, preferably older, refurbished models that would be placed in stations around the campus. Students could pick up bikes at a station, use them to commute around the campus, and then deposit the bikes at any other station on campus.

“It is a success in communities and some universities around the nation and could be a great addition to ours,” Pierce said.

His experience as an idea man stems from his various leadership positions on campus. Although he has never been part of student government before, he is the president of his fraternity, Delta Upsilon and the Vice President of Recruitment and Retention for Interfraternity Council. He has also been recently appointed as an at-large member to the Allocations Committee.

“I differentiate myself from competition with my assertive character, my dynamic interpersonal skills and my professional presence, which all have led me to make many great contacts within the student body and faculty,” Pierce said.

– Kristine Philips

McArdle wants to evoke policy changes

Political science classes have prepared Ronnie McArdle for student government. The junior political science major is running for director of student advancement in Undergraduate Student Government.

Currently the Director of Governmental Affairs, McArdle said he believes that experience will provide an ample stepping-stone for this new position.

“I was once told that if you feel that you possess the greatest ability to lead, then it is not only your right but your responsibility to do so,” McArdle said. “I do not doubt that both of my opponents have pure motives and an ability to lead, but I know that through my personal and educational experiences, I have learned the necessary skills to advance the interests of the students in a way that no one else can.”

McArdle’s experiences have helped him to formulate his platform of student education and awareness. He noted many students do not know certain programs exist or how they operate, including the Student Advocate Program or the Office of the Student Ombuds.

“I believe that certain policy changes that are necessary to unify the colleges in their common goals are crucial for the advancement of the student body,” McArdle said. “It is my goal to not only inform them of the resources available to them now, but to create programs and resources that are detrimental to their success in the future.”

– Kristine Philips