Admissions still going up for this fall

Kelly Petryszyn

12 percent rise in freshman apps; enrollment still unclear

Applications for Fall 2009 have already surpassed the total number of applications for Fall 2008.

As of last week, the admissions office had received more than 13,200 applications. This is more than the total applications received by August 2008 for last fall: 12,916.

There is a 12 percent increase in freshman applications, Director of Admissions Nancy DellaVecchia said.

She said the increase is because of expanded outreach to students and more personal contacts as well as expanded travel.

Cautious optimism

Associate Director of Admissions Mark Ledoux said there is no way to tell for sure if enrollment will increase for the fall because of the economy, but the office is hopeful.

“We are optimistic that this increase in applications will translate into an increase in enrollment,” he said.

But the admissions office staff said their optimism is guarded.

“We are cautiously optimistic with the economy,” DellaVecchia said.

Ledoux added that because of the economy, parents and students are trying to keep their options open. The increased number of applications may be attributed to this. He spoke with a family that thought they had college figured out. But then the father had to take a 30 percent pay cut, and now they are rethinking everything. Even Ledoux said he feels uncertain.

New faces from new places

The increase is across the board, DellaVecchia said. There is an increase in minority and in-state applications.

There is also a 13 percent increase in out-of-state applications. Kent State expanded its out-of-state recruiting this year into five new territories with five new admissions counselors. The admissions office is hoping to have 100 additional out-of-state students, DellaVecchia said.

Transfer student applications are also up 20 percent, she said.

The office will have more solid numbers when the financial aid letters come out, but until then, they are working toward their goal number of 3,900 to 4,000 first time freshmen for Fall 2009.

DellaVecchia said the office is on track for reaching their goals.

Contact student affairs reporter Kelly Petryszyn at

[email protected]