KSU celebrates International Education Week

Leila Arch

Stresses global awareness

Kent State, along with many other universities nationwide, will be celebrating International Education Week starting today.

“It is an initiative from the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of State,” said Kenneth Cushner, former executive director of the Office of International Affairs and professor in the College of Education Health and Human Services.

International Education Week was developed so Americans could “understand other cultures and consider how they can bridge cultural differences and forge linkages with other nations,” Cushner said.

“There is a renewed interest in international education, and there is a lot of very powerful things happening in many sectors of the university,” he said.

International Education Week emphasizes the importance of global awareness, according to its Web site.

Vice Provost Steve Michael said students should attend International Education Week because “our students are going to become global leaders”.

There will be lectures and activities throughout the week, said Kristi Campbell, international student and scholar adviser.

“This is a collaboration from many different individuals and departments on campus,” she said. “Some of our international students are even speaking to the kindergarten class at the CDC (Child Development Center).

“It is a wonderful opportunity for everyone to become aware of cultural differences and similarities,” Campbell said.

-Leila Arch

International Education Week Calendar of Events:

TODAY

• Sticky Floors and Glass Ceilings: Barriers to Women’s Advancement, presentation by Dr. Susan Iverson

When: 1:30 p.m.

Where: Governance Chambers

TUESDAY

• Dating on a College Campus: Intercultural Conversations, international student panel

When: 12:00 noon

Where: Studio A, Beall Hall

• Things to Do in a Winter Wonderland, OIA Interns Lisa Lui and Amanda Taylor

When: 1:30 p.m.

Where: Studio A, Beall Hall

• Issues of the Korean Peninsula: Inter-Korean Relations and the North Korean Nuclear Problem, presentation by Dr. Seo-Hang Lee, Visiting Scholar, Political Science

When: 2:00 p.m.

Where: Student Center Room 317

• Child Mortality: American Youth Risk Behaviors, presentation by Dr. Keleg Ding

When: 3:30 p.m.

Where: Governance Chambers

WEDNESDAY

• Internationalization as a Transformative Experience, presentation by Richard Robyn, Department of Political Science

When: 10:30 a.m.

Where: Student Center Room 307

• Road Trip, an overview of the National Student Exchange and Kent State study abroad programs to freshman students

When: 11:00 a.m.

Where: Student Center Room 317

• Assessment Tools in International and Intercultural Research

When: 11:00 a.m.

Where: Moulton Hall Room 317

• Chalk Art, Cookies and the Child Development Center

When: 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m.

Where: in and around Van Campen Hall

• People and Parks: Stories of Conservation and Development in Uganda, presentation by Dr. Andrew Lepp

When: 4:00 p.m.

Where: Multicultural Center

THURSDAY

• HIV/AIDS in the U.S. and the World: Winning the Battle, but Losing the War, presentation by Dr. Diane Kerr

Where: 1:00 p.m.

When: Governance Chambers

• Car and Driving 101: How to get a drivers’ license, buy a car, and maintain it, OIA Interns Lisa Lui and Amanda Taylor

When: 2:30 p.m.

Where: Studio A, Beall Hall

• Tastes of India, Indian food and music

When: 4:30-7:00 p.m.

Where: Eastway Complex

• Girls First: The Key to Reaching and Surpassing MDGs in 2015, presentation by Dr. Vilma Seeberg

When: 7:00 p.m.

Where: Student Center

FRIDAY

• Population Connection: Workshops for Educators

When: 1:00-3:00 p.m.

Where: White Hall Room 200

• D’Lo, Tamil Sri Lankan hip-hop, comedy, dance, and performance artist

When: 8:00 p.m.

Where: Kiva