USG plans for next semester

Nicole Stempak

Undergraduate Student Government members finalized plans for next year at yesterday’s last full body meeting of the semester.

Senators and directors passed an elections bill as emergency legislation. The bill outlined the rules and procedures to establish an election commission for the 2009-10 USG elections.

Election commission members will be determined by Executive Director Jonathan Bey, vice chair Jared Smith and Residence Halls Senator Joe Derkin.

Derkin was nominated and voted into the position yesterday.

Election commission applications are now available at the USG and Center for Student Involvement offices until Dec. 5, the last day of classes for the fall semester, Bey said. The commission will monitor the USG general election in the spring.

Applications for USG positions for the 2009-10 academic year will be available Jan. 21, 2009, and are due Feb. 18. The election will be March 10.

Members approved another piece of emergency legislation to support the recalled city council members. Members also approved the removal of Theodore Trimm from the Allocations Committee because of excessive unexcused absences. As a result, alternate Anastasa Williams will become an at-large committee member.

Modifications to USG’s bylaws were tabled until the first full meeting of next semester.

&mdash Nicole Stempak