Biological science professor enjoys teaching students about nature

Samantha Tosado

Andreas’ childhood on a farm inspired her inquisitive nature

Editor’s Note: The Daily Kent Stater ran a series of profiles for the winners of the Distinguished Teaching Award and Outstanding Teaching Award recipients in the past two weeks. Biological science professor Barbara Andreas is the final profile because she had been out of town.

It was a typical teaching day for biological science professor Barbara Andreas, until the department chair, assistant chair and her husband walked into her classroom with good news.

“I was so surprised,” Andreas said. “I had no clue I had won, and I am very pleased.”

Andreas was one of three professors to receive the 2008 Outstanding Teaching Award, which goes to a non-tenure track faculty member who has been teaching at Kent State for at least five years.

Andreas, who has taught at Kent State for seven years after teaching biology at Cuyahoga Community College for 25 years, said she loves her students and especially loves teaching them about their environment.

“You have to be familiar with your surroundings,” Andreas said. “Then, the more comfortable you are about taking care of it.”

Andreas said she has been interested in biological science ever since she was a child.

“I grew up on a farm and always knew the name of trees,” she said. “It’s an area I always wanted to know more about.”

She said she hopes students who are trying to pursue a career in teaching go with their heart, even if they’re trying to teach in an area with no jobs.

“Even if you start at the bottom, you can always find success,” she said. “And work hard.”

Contact news correspondent Samantha Tosado at [email protected].