Letters to the editor

Support of abortion shows lack of humanity

Dear Editor,

The editors’ first pillar of support for Obama (Oct. 23) was his unfailing support for abortion, including partial birth abortion. They presumably know that this gruesome procedure involves the “extraction” of a fully formed third trimester baby from the birth canal, during which the physician-abortionist kills it by puncturing his/her neck, followed by aspirating their brains and crushing their skulls. How can civilized people support the legalization of such procedures? Why didn’t the editors also laud Obama’s opposition to legislation (in Illinois) that would have ensured life-supporting assistance for viable, born babies resulting from a botched abortion?

Perhaps Obama’s “pay grade” is still insufficient for him to recognize the humanity of third trimester human beings even after they are delivered. It is frightening that one of Obama’s cherished hopes is to secure passage of the Freedom of Choice Act which in part would violate the consciences of nurses, doctors and hospitals and force taxpayers to pay for abortions. It would not be surprising that knowledge of Obama’s most extreme position on abortion will be counter-productive since reasonable citizens are rightly disgusted by the sheer barbarity of the acts he supports and resent his promise to force their collusion with the abortion culture.

Frederick Walz, adviser for Campus Right to Life and professor of chemistry

Don’t wait till Tuesday, cast your ballot now

Dear Editor,

As almost everyone knows, Election Day is Nov. 4, and, like a lot of students, I’ve already voted. On Monday, I went down to the Portage County Administration building at 449 S. Meridian St. in Ravenna and cast my vote for Barack Obama for president. Until this year, no one was allowed to vote early in Ohio unless they had some specific reason why they needed to do so. This year, for the first time, everyone who is registered can vote early.

I voted for Barack Obama because I believe he is the candidate who is going to make the right decisions on the issues that matter to me: I want my education and health care to be more affordable, I want to have a chance to get a job when I get out of school and I look forward to living in a country that’s safe, secure and no longer engaged in needless wars. Barack Obama is the one who gives me hope that such things are possible.

It was because of all these things that I was so excited to vote in my first presidential election. The chance to vote early made this first time all the more exciting, and it’s what Sen. Obama has encouraged all of his supporters to do. When I voted, it took less than 30 minutes from the time I arrived to the time I left after casting my vote. I just filled out a form with my name and the last four digits of my social security number, and then I voted. That’s all it took. It was my first time voting, and it was even more exciting because I know I am contributing to this historic election, with perhaps more at stake than ever before.

The polls are open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. If you’re registered in this county, you can go down to the Portage County Administration Building any day during those hours, fill out a ballot and cast it today. Cast your ballot now so that it’s counted first. Our future depends on it.

Stephen Marks, freshman business and psychology major