KSU club lacrosse picking up steam

Melissa Sidebotham

In team’s second year at university, players expecting big things

Football Hall of Famer Jim Brown and the Kent State men’s club lacrosse team have something in common – their dedication to collegiate lacrosse.

Brown is thought by many to be the best lacrosse player of all time, while the club lacrosse team is full of dedicated players striving to leave their legacy at Kent State.

Senior midfielder Nate Weiser has been playing lacrosse for nine years. He started playing the sport because he believed it consisted of everything he needed to stay fit.

Lacrosse is called “the fastest game on two feet” by the National College Lacrosse League Web site, and it’s beginning to pique the interest of many people.

Sophomore attackman Charles Sheehan said he had a lot of free time on his hands, so he was looking for something fun to do. His fraternity brother was on the lacrosse team, so he decided to give it a try.

“There’s a lot of running,” he said. “It’s a great sport and you stay in shape.”

Kent State’s lacrosse program has even attracted players from other colleges.

Sophomore attack Travis VonAllmen transferred from Mercyhurst College and joined the Kent State lacrosse team. VonAllmen said he likes the team because he enjoys playing lacrosse at a club level rather than a varsity level.

“I’m looking forward to playing with a good group of guys,” he said.

Lacrosse is a combination of hockey, basketball and soccer, and players wear minimal padding. Because of this, some of the players said games can get physical.

Freshman defenseman, or long stick, Eric Lewis started playing lacrosse because he wanted to “beast on people.”

“I want to hurt people and do damage,” he said.

Kent State coach Mark Lewis said he hopes the team’s dedication and athletic ability will lead to a successful season. He said he hopes his team can contend with Ohio to win the NCLL North.

This is only the team’s second year in the NCLL. It finished 8-7 last season, just one game shy of making an appearance at nationals.

Sophomore goalie Brian Lewis believes the team will do a lot better than last year because of the good players it has picked up.

The men’s lacrosse team is currently 1-0 after defeating John Carroll 9-7 earlier this fall. It will play Toledo and the Cleveland Lacrosse Club at 1 p.m. Sunday at Murphy-Mellis Field, behind Dix Stadium.

Contact student recreation and wellness reporter Melissa Sidebotham at [email protected].