Five-day service campaign begins

Gina Maldonado

Kent’s AmeriCorps VISTA and the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs will begin its 100 Hours of Service campaign on Oct. 21 in honor of National Make a Difference Day.

The five-day campaign promotes the day Americans do the most good by improving the Portage County community. The campaign will end on the official National Make a Difference Day Oct. 25, with a closing ceremony at 6 p.m. in downtown Kent.

AmeriCorps VISTA and the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs are offering students several volunteer opportunities. The two offices are giving students a chance to make a difference.

Registration for volunteer opportunities through the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs is due by Friday.

nAmeriCorps VISTA is offering students four volunteer opportunities from Tuesday to Oct. 25.

nNeighborhood cleanup and landscaping for the Portage Metropolitan Housing Authority needs eight to 10 volunteers. It will take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m Friday at Heritage Knolls in Kent. Supplies will be provided.

nStewart’s Caring Place, a family cancer recovery center, needs six to eight volunteers to take down tables, help artists transport items and move furniture. It will take place from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Saturday at Stewart’s Caring Place in Akron. Supplies will be provided.

nStudents can donate food. All Kent State residence halls and departments will accept non-perishable items from Monday to Oct. 24.

nAmeriCorps VISTA needs students to knock on doors in the Kent area to collect and transport non-perishable food donations. Other volunteers can unload and organize food. They will meet at 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 25 at the Student Center bus stop and work until 2 p.m. Free pizza and beverages will be provided.

nThe Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs is offering students 19 volunteer opportunities from Tuesday to Oct. 25.

nSkeels Community Center in Ravenna needs five volunteers to help clean the facility. This will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday. Supplies will be provided.

nHaven of Rest Ministries in Akron needs five to 10 volunteers to help prepare lodging for homeless men. This will take place from 9 a.m. to noon on Tuesday. Supplies will be provided. The ministry also needs three to five volunteers to help with yardwork from 9 a.m. to noon any day, and it needs five to 10 volunteers to stain playground equipment from 9 a.m. to noon any day.

nThe Portage Private Industry Council in Ravenna needs 10 to 15 people for each of its five centers in Portage County. Volunteers will clean, cook, do yardwork and work with children in the classroom. It will take place from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m Tuesday through Oct. 24. Supplies will be provided.

nSenior Track/ FCS in Kent needs two to three people for three to five hours. Volunteers will assist older adults with chores, moving, packing, lawn services and shoveling snow. Supplies will be provided.

nThe Four Seasons in Kent needs at least four volunteers to plant flowers, lay mulch and shelve the closet in the community room. It will take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday. Supplies will be provided.

nSafer Futures in Portage County needs four to six volunteers to put five bunk beds and frames together. It will take place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday. Supplies will be provided.

nPlanned Parenthood of NEO in Akron needs two to five volunteers to clean up downtown Kent’s health center. It will take place on Tuesday. Planned Parenthood also needs two to five volunteers for Kent’s “Back to School” open house from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Wednesday. Supplies will be provided for both events.

nHattie Larlham’s Constant Companions in Mantua needs four volunteers to accompany adults with MR/DD on a trip in the community. It will take place from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Friday.

nHattie Larlham Supported Living needs eight volunteers to prepare and paint interior walls and ceilings and work in the yard. It will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday. They also need six volunteers to remove furniture, clean and paint a room and reorganize furniture. It will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday. Donations such as fun lights, beanbag chairs, fiber optics and black lights are welcome.

nHattie Larlham’s Hattie’s Café needs eight volunteers to spread top soil, plant grass, spread straw, weed and perform other clean-up duties. This will take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday. Volunteers will need to have their own work gloves.

nColeman Adult Day Services in Ravenna needs four volunteers to paint outdoor flower boxes, picnic tables and benches. It will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday. Supplies will be provided.

nColeman Professional Services in Kent needs six volunteers to beautify its deck, railings and stairs. It will take place from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Supplies will be provided.

nColeman Professional Services also needs five to six volunteers to move boxes and empty storage for mentally ill people. It will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday and Friday. Supplies will be provided.

nThe American Red Cross needs four to six volunteers to clean offices, windows and walls. It will take place anytime between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday or Wednesday. Supplies will be provided.

nMike Pritt and his family from Kent need five volunteers to clean up old railroad debris along a new bike path. Date and time to be announced.

nThe Home Savings Plaza on Main Street in Kent needs many volunteers for its Halloween Family Fun Party. A setup crew is needed from 2:30 to 5 p.m. on Saturday. A children’s activities crew is needed from 5 to 8:30 p.m on Saturday. Also, a concessions stand clean-up crew is needed for two shifts on Saturday. The first shift is from 4 to 8:30 p.m. and the second shift is from 8:30 p.m. to midnight.

nPegasus Farm in Hartville needs up to 15 volunteers for landscaping, cleanup and painting. It will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday or Friday. Supplies will be provided.

nF&CS Arts Alive! program needs volunteers to help with a large mural outside of Town Hall II. Time and date will be announced.

nUnited Christian Ministries needs eight to 10 volunteers to make Halloween treat bags for children at the King Kennedy Community Center. It will take place from 8 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday. Supplies will be provided.

nThe Boys and Girls Club in Ravenna needs four volunteers for general painting and cleanup. It will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday. Supplies will be provided.

For further information about the AmeriCorps Vista volunteer opportunities, contact Megan Odell-Scott, Ohio campus compact AmeriCorps VISTA service leader, at [email protected] or 330-672-8010.

For further information about The Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs volunteer opportunities contact Ann Gosky, senior special assistant, at [email protected] or 330-672-8004.

Contact social services reporter Gina Maldonado at [email protected].