Letters to the editor

Starting philanthropy early teaches valuable life lessons

Dear Editor,

I’d like to respond to your recent article titled “Students give enough to the university” (Ted Hamilton, Sept. 12). The university raises millions of dollars in private support from alumni, parents, friends and the Kent State community. Through private support, our university is able to provide scholarships to students, attract top-notch faculty members and keep our campus on the cutting edge of technology.

Everyone agrees that our tuition is expensive, but it would be a lot higher without the private support received from others! How do I know this information? Well, I worked at the PhoneCenter, and called on our Kent State alumni to help raise funds for students like you and me. We, the student body, should appreciate that we have alumni who care so much about Kent State.

Now, let’s talk specifically about the Campaign for Change, Kent State’s student philanthropy campaign. I am a volunteer for the Campaign for Change, and our mission is to teach fellow students about philanthropy and how we can collectively make positive changes at our university. The campaign started in the Fall of 2007 and we made eight, not four, people very happy because they each received a scholarship for $500.

The Campaign for Change is a starting block for students to see that giving back can do good. Even though I wasn’t a recipient of one of the eight scholarships, I felt good about what I did – I helped another student get a scholarship!

Philanthropy is a great lesson for everyone to learn and take part in. Even if you do not receive something tangible in return, you will feel good knowing that you helped someone else and that you made a positive impact. I know that my $10 is going towards the Campaign for Change, because I know it will do some good.

College is all about learning new things, and philanthropy is one of those things!

Sheree Clay, sophomore Pan-African studies major

‘Evolution of a Greek’: not what Darwin was talking about

Dear Editor,

As a Greek, it has been commonplace in my college career at Kent State that I encounter the anti-Greek sentiment (from the GDI, or for those not familiar with college lingo, what some Greeks lovingly call God Damned Independents). Never before, however, has it come in a form so universally insulting and so misguided (on many levels) as that of (Thursday’s) “The Evolution of a Greek.” It is astounding to me that not only is Greek life misunderstood by the biased and closed-minded, but possibly more so by the well-spoken and seemingly intellectual.

Obviously Ms. Brager has a diverse knowledge base, running from “Barney” and Calculus to Darwin and “The Hills.” Her knowledge of the realities of sororities and fraternities, however, is lacking. Also, to dip into that aforementioned knowledge base to berate an entire social system of which she has been so clearly incorrectly informed, is plain bad form. If a non-Greek affiliated student is really interested in familiarizing him or herself on the evolution of a Greek – he or she should actually ask one. Or make friends with one, or several.

Of course, like any large group of people burdened by a stereotype, I cannot guarantee to know what every individual is like. I just know that myself and the Greeks I know would never drag anyone to any kind of Victoria’s Secret outlet. Conversely, and more truthfully, my personal evolution as a Greek has been one toward responsibility, loyalty and achievement. Whatever an individual’s reason for “Going Greek” (hopefully much more than to be “observed” on Main Street), we are helped to undergo our own evolutions through grade, study and service requirements, dedicated advisers, powerful peer support, higher retention rates as students, and valuable professional networking that lasts beyond our “Laguna Beacher” years.

Don’t take it from me. I’m no sociologist, geneticist, ecologist or psychologist. I’m just a student who contributes my own college survival to my Greek evolution. I am also sure that these members of the scientific community, and dare I say Darwin himself, would first conduct a less prejudiced course of research before contributing his or her “results” or view to any publication. If, reader, this appeals to you, just search some combination of Kent State, recruitment and 2008 on Facebook, and you can conduct such research for yourself. (How did Darwin do it all without The Book?) Or you can just ask one of us wearing letters around – I’ll be the one in flats.

Meghann Collette, senior international relations major