Reorganization of student services aims to enhance communication

Kristen Traynor

The overseeing bodies of the Student Center, Dining Services and the Ice Arena will now fall under the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs instead of the Division of Business and Finance.

Pete Goldsmith, vice president for enrollment management and student affairs, said this is an administrative structural change, concerning reporting lines. Now, those working in the three areas will be able to work with a different set of services in a different division of the university. This change will put student services together that were previously under separate divisions.

“It brings together a lot of the services that have a direct impact on students,” Goldsmith said.

Jackie Parsons, executive director of the Kent Student Center and Dining Services, said the effect of the change will not show right away.

“Students will see very little changes initially,” Parsons said.

With all of the people involved in student services together in one section of the university, Parsons said she believes these services will surely benefit from the conversation. She is hoping the change will enhance communication and coordinate efforts to serve the students more effectively.

“I’m looking forward to working with my other colleagues,” Parsons said.

She said the change went into effect Aug. 1, bringing services within the student center such as the FlashCard Office and the University Bookstore under the supervision of the Enrollment Management and Student Affairs office, in order to coordinate the efforts in student services more efficiently.

Goldsmith said this change will affect students because all of these services have a direct impact on students. He said he hopes the change will have a positive result for students.

Contact principal reporter Kristen Traynor at [email protected].