Older classrooms undergoing renovations

David Ranucci

Doug Alborn, construction management superintendent for the Hammond Company, and Jacob Moore, superintendent for the Cavanaugh Company, go over plans for Oscar Ritchie Hall. David Ranucci | Summer Kent Stater

Approximately 70 classrooms on campus are undergoing renovations, many of which haven’t been renovated since the 1960s.

Associate Provost Laura Davis and Michael Bruder, director of design and construction, are leading the project.

“It’s a pretty significant effort,” Bruder said.

He said the most used and most outdated classrooms were selected for renovation in order to have the greatest impact on the greatest number of students.

The renovations are projected to cost $2.3 million, but the project is currently under budget and any money left over will be funneled back into future renovations for other classrooms on campus.

Buildings with classrooms undergoing renovations:

&bull Music and Speech Center

&bull White Hall

&bull Bowman Hall

&bull Satterfield Hall

&bull Business Administration Building

&bull Art Building

&bull Kent Hall

&bull McGilvrey Hall

&bull Taylor Hall

&bull Cunningham Hall

&bull Smith Hall

&bull Gym Annex

The project is part of a campus-wide renovation project totaling an estimated $42.7 million.

Mike Yoho, senior business management and computer information systems major, said he thinks classroom renovations are necessary.

“The seats are still the original ones from 1970,” he said. “They’re uncomfortable. … Some of them are broken, so it’s very good that they’re remodeling.”

Faculty members are also pleased with the renovations.

Halim El-Dabh, university professor of music, said the renovated Oscar Ritchie hall is a sight of pride.

“It’s a great achievement,” he said.

Oscar Ritchie, which was closed all of last academic year for renovations, is nearly complete.

The projects are slated to be finished by the fall and some may be done as early as the end of June.

“I think the students are really going to appreciate it when they get back,” Bruder said.

Contact grounds and transportation reporter David Ranucci [email protected].