A collision of fashion

Lauren Carll

This year’s Rock the Runway produced several rockin’ outfits

Freshman fashion design major Bethany Greenawalt is made up for Rock the Runway backstage before the show. Her look was part of a collection by Amanda Lombardi, Shanetta Dorsey and Bethany Clark called “Bright Noise.” Caitlin Prarat | Daily Kent Stater

The sound of thumping base drums and guitar solos filled the air in the Ballroom last night as everything from tight, men’s hot shorts to blue couture-like dresses with ruffle detailing took stage at the fourth annual Rock the Runway themed “Rock of Ages.”

Three judges sat at the end of the runway and critiqued 15 collections based on how well the clothes fit the models and how they looked on the runway, cohesiveness and its overall “rock” appeal.

Elizabeth Medovich and Oliver Siff won first place with their line “Singular Collision,” and received a $100 gift certificate to Jo-Ann Fabrics. Kim Rigby, a freshman fashion design major with sophomore standing, took second place with her line “Delish,” and received a $50 gift certificate to Jo-Ann Fabrics. Freshmen Amanda Lombardi, Shanetta Dorsey and Bethany Clark took third place with their line “Bright Noise.”

Cohesiveness judge John Carothers said he was very impressed with the outcome of Rock the Runway.

“I think it went really well overall,” he said. “The set up and some of the collections really blew me away.”

Carothers said he felt Medovich’s and Siff’s line embraced all of the award-winning criteria.

“I think the colors and the materials really worked well for them,” he said. “Their line was cohesive, and it really did rock.”

Kevin Pospichel, a junior physics major and department manager of Kent Student Center Programming, said he started preparing for Rock the Runway in January.

“It all started in mid-January, and I have been doing little by little up until the actual day of the event,” he said. “The designers were required to submit their sketches by April. Each collection consists of four pieces and the designers had to find their own models.”

Rigby said designing for Rock the Runway was a great experience, and she looks forward to participating in the event in the next year.

“I am just so excited,” she said with a smile on her face. “I never even dreamed of getting second place. I am so honored, and I am so proud of my models. They were absolutely amazing.”

EDITOR’S NOTE: At the time of press, the reporter was not able to obtain some of the contestants’ year and major.

Contact fashion reporter Lauren Carll at [email protected].