University integrates scheduling program into Banner system

Nicole Stempak

Appointments made easier with Web-Scheduler

Web-Scheduler, which is used to schedule advising appointments online, will now be integrated into the university’s Banner system per an Information Services decision last month.

Individual colleges have been using Web-Scheduler, but the system will now be formally adopted by the university to be used on all campuses. Web-Scheduler was first used by the College of Education, Health and Human Services in 2005.

“We are just beginning the process of working with the web developer to integrate (Web-Scheduler) into FlashLine,” said Susan Cole, senior special assistant for academic affairs working within the division of Information Services.

Although many colleges now use Web-Scheduler, it is not currently part of Banner, said Charity Snyder, director of undergraduate advising and licensure. Currently, students must access the Advising Services drop down menu under the Academics tab on the Kent State home page.

Snyder said the College of Education, Health and Human Services wanted a system for students to schedule appointments online, as opposed to the paper book it used years ago. The college hired a data manager to design the Web-Scheduler system.

“Then other colleges on campus heard about it and said, ‘Oh, we would really like to use that. Can we use it, too?'” Snyder said.

Cole said she hopes Web-Scheduler will be an icon under Student Tools in FlashLine.

“I think the benefit for students will be one place to go – FlashLine – where you can schedule classes and advising appointments,” she said.

In February, Web-Scheduler was modified so that students could reserve appointments with Banner ID numbers instead of Social Security numbers.

“We wanted to be in line with what the university was doing and wanting to not use Social Security numbers for security reasons,” Snyder said.

Contact general assignment reporter Nicole Stempak at [email protected].