Filmmaker to speak at Stark campus

Julianna Frantz

Jean-Michel Cousteau, his daughter, Celine, and his son, Fabien, will present “The Great Ocean Adventure” tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. in the Timken Great Hall, located in the Professional Education and Conference Center, at the Stark campus.

Cynthia Williams, coordinator of public relations at that campus, said that they are honored to have the Cousteaus participate in the Featured Speakers Series.

“It’s our way of giving back to the campus and community,” Williams said.

FEATURED SPEAKERS

• For the next Featured Speaker Series event, the Stark campus will host Dave Barry on April 8. The event is expected to draw a large crowd and tickets will be required to attend.

• Tickets will be available starting March 24, in Main Hall Information Office.

• Barry, a humor columnist, has written over 30 books. He was a syndicated columnist for 25 years, and his work was published in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad.

Cousteau is the son of legendary film-maker Jacques-Yves Cousteau. Following in his father’s footsteps, Jean-Michel has produced more than 70 films. For his work he has received an Emmy, a Peabody and the Cable ACE Award.

Since being thrown overboard by his father at the age of seven with SCUBA gear on his back, Jean-Michel has had a deep love and concern for our watery planet. He founded the Ocean Futures Society in 1999, a non-profit marine conservation and education organization.

Celine Cousteau serves as the international program coordinator for the organization. Her brother, Fabien, also shares a love for ocean exploration. In June 2006, “Mind of a Demon” aired on CBS. For the program, he created a 14-foot, 1,200-pound, lifelike shark submarine, allowing viewers a rare look into the world of sharks.

The Cousteaus will also participate in video conferencing throughout the day with area students.

Williams said that all schools in the area that have video conferencing capabilities are invited to participate during Featured Speakers Series events and that past speakers have been impressed with the questions asked by area students.

“We have always been very pleased with the outcome,” Williams said.

She said that featured speakers elect whether to participate in video conferencing.

Desiree Fox, 9, a third-grader at Taft Elementary School located in Plain Local School District, plans on attending the presentation with her mother Kasondra Fox. Desiree plans to some day become an oceanographer.

“I love the ocean,” Desiree said. “I want to be an oceanographer when I grow-up.”

Her mother, Kasondra, said that Desiree fell in love with the ocean and all the animals because of family vacations taken in South Carolina.

“She talks about it all the time,” Fox said. “Dolphins are her favorite right now. That might change, but I doubt it.”

The event is free and open to the public. The building will open at 6:45 p.m. and seating is on a first-come, first-seated basis.

Following the lecture there will be an invite-only reception where people can meet the Cousteaus.

The Professional Education and Conference Center is located in Jackson Township, at 6000 Frank Avenue NW. Directions to Stark campus can be found on the Stark campus Web site, www.stark.kent.edu.

“We welcome anyone from Kent campus to come and enjoy our featured speakers,” Williams said.

Contact regional campuses reporter Julianna Frantz at [email protected].